Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Ordering plants online in the winter... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/ordering-plants-online-winter-128700/)

smit3183 02-13-2013 12:58 PM

Ordering plants online in the winter...

Planning on ordering some from aquarium plants.com and wanted to know if the plants will survive. They're located in South Dakota and I'm in Ohio . The plants would be few species of crypts and anubias, java moss and a Amazon Sword.

smit3183 02-13-2013 01:08 PM

Or should I just wait til spring? I'm kind of antsy though.

1077 02-13-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smit3183 (Post 1429518)
Planning on ordering some from aquarium plants.com and wanted to know if the plants will survive. They're located in South Dakota and I'm in Ohio . The plants would be few species of crypts and anubias, java moss and a Amazon Sword.

aquariumplant's.com is where I order from, and for five extra dollar's,,they will provide styrofoam box which would help during cold weather.

thekoimaiden 02-13-2013 01:16 PM

I like that company, too. Ordered from them once and will be placing another order in April. Unless you are really hurting for plants, you might want to hold off until the weather warms up. Plus, some of those like java moss, anubias, and some swords can be found at most pet stores. I've even seen some crypts at my Petco.

Stoke88 02-13-2013 05:15 PM

Just ask to see if they can include heat packs. I've ordered in the winter before and I'm in NY. The plants arrived and were very very cold. I was unsure if they would survive but to my surprise, not one died. So I'd say as long as they don't freeze you should be good.

aemaki09 02-13-2013 10:03 PM

Just make sure you get a heat pack even if you have to pay extra.

I live in ohio too and I've had all sorts of plant packages sent this winter: insulated, insulated and heated, heated, and nothing at all. Seems like if your weather stays above freezing they tend to survive as long as they are insulated and heated. I've never ordered from the site you are talking about but I've heard nothing but good reviews about them so I assume you will have no problems, and even if you do they probably have a LAG on them.

Goodluck!

rexpepper651 02-14-2013 01:31 AM

ordered from them a little over a month ago actually. im in mn so it didnt tank long for them to get here. great looking plants besides my java ferns were tiny lil things. i got the 2nde day shipping which was awesome cuz it actually only took one day. plants were a wee bit cold but i let them sit in the houser for a good while before cleaning them and placing in my tank! great place to order from! i believe they only ship plants on wed so dont do wht i did an order on a thrusday hoping to get them by saterday lol

fish monger 02-14-2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smit3183 (Post 1429518)

What a coincidence ! I just placed an order with Aquariumplants.com and I live in Ohio. They do a great job of packaging and unless we have a severe cold snap, I think (hope) the plants should be OK. I placed an order earlier this winter and got lucky in that we had about 3 days of 50-60 degrees when it shipped. This past summer I received a shipment where the plants were all but cooked. Good luck.

smit3183 02-14-2013 05:55 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys . I think I'm going to maybe wait for some warmer temps to roll through before I order. Their is only one Lfs that sales quality plants around me and they are very overpriced so that probaly wouldn't be a good option
Posted via Mobile Device

MMAfish35 02-15-2013 08:44 PM

Check out this page. He gets them there in two days and they arrive perfect.

https://www.facebook.com/Yourplantedtank