Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Four questions from potentially hundreds- (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/four-questions-potentially-hundreds-12869/)

jaybyrd 03-13-2008 09:21 AM

Four questions from potentially hundreds-

Question number 1 - What is the opinions of the product flourish excel? Can it aid it the lessening of GSA & BBA? I have an insanely flourishing planted tank that is still mildly succumbing to these algaes - even though the plants and their mildly covered, with algae, leaves are not dying.

Question number 2 - If one desires - once plant growth is substantial - can they slowly weed DIY CO2 from the aquarium and what would the consequences be if the aquarium is heavily planted?

Question number 3 - If I reduce the bio-load a little more by donating two of my larger fish to another aquarium would this aid in reducing the potential for algae? The two fish I have in mind are the two cosby gouramis as combined they are easily 9 inches of fish and they are a little too big for such a heavily planted aquarium.

Question number 4 - Are ottocinclus really effective in the aid of a healthy planted aquarium? If so I understand there may be a high mortality rate among these fish when introduced to aquariums due to their diet and being captured and transported?

I do believe my tank blurb is up to date as well as my aquarium description if someone was wondering what the tank parameters were while trying to answer my questions.

Pics of growth:

http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/4033_DSCN2446_1.jpg

fish_4_all 03-13-2008 12:49 PM

Re: Four questions from potentially hundreds-

Quote:

Question number 1 - What is the opinions of the product flourish excel? Can it aid it the lessening of GSA & BBA?
Excel will kill any and all algae in a tank short of GSA in my experience. It will also melt Anachris/elodea, vals, foxtial and others if the plants react badly. Dose it directly on algae to kill it or simply dose the recommended amount to prevent it. Some say you can use more but I had no reason to.

Quote:

Question number 2 - If one desires - once plant growth is substantial - can they slowly weed DIY CO2 from the aquarium and what would the consequences be if the aquarium is heavily planted?
Removing CO2 will simply result in the plant growing slower, not using up excess nutrients and could cause algae to take over the tank. I guess you could do it slowly enough and reduce the total amount of light slowly as well as remove nutrient amount slowly to go to a low tech slow growth tank over a period of 6 months or so if you wanted to but you will not have luscious growth anymore and could have a lot more algae problems.

Quote:

Question number 3 - If I reduce the bio-load a little more by donating two of my larger fish to another aquarium would this aid in reducing the potential for algae? The two fish I have in mind are the two cosby gouramis as combined they are easily 9 inches of fish and they are a little too big for such a heavily planted aquarium.
I doubt it to be honest. I think the reverse is more potentially possible. Less nutrients, slower plant growth and possibly more algae problems. When I dosed my tanks using EI, if I missed dosing I got algae problems rather quickly. If I overdosed it never caused algae.

Quote:

Question number 4 - Are ottocinclus really effective in the aid of a healthy planted aquarium? If so I understand there may be a high mortality rate among these fish when introduced to aquariums due to their diet and being captured and transported?
Otos are fun to watch and do a little bit to clean soft algae but not really much as far as BBA. GSA is only eaten by snails and limpets as far as I know. GSA is caused from a lack of phosphates. If I didn't dose phosphates I always got it. Dosed it again and it went away in a matter of 5-7 days. Buy Otos that have round and full looking bellies for best results.

IMHO, I wouldn't change a thing except maybe using Excel to spot treat whatever algae you want gone. Other than that, making sure the plants have enough nutrients, steady levels of CO2 and good lighting will be your best algae prevention.