Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Tetra question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/tetra-question-12868/)

foureyed_dragon 03-13-2008 09:12 AM

Tetra question

I went to the fish store yesterday to see what type of tetras they had for the 10g tank that I have in the works. They had so many tetras I was over whelmed. I know that tetras like to be in groups, but does it have to be a group of the same type of tetra or can it be a group of different types of tetras?

Dtld9 03-13-2008 11:32 AM

I would stick with the same kind, I got different types of tetras and they really don't get along. They don't bother each other too much but there is the occasional fin nipping. I think if they were were the same type but not the same I.E Black neon, and Blue neon they might be ok but don't go for tetras that look different like I did.

foureyed_dragon 03-13-2008 12:42 PM

Okay, I will try and keep that in mind then. I dunno if it would make any difference if they were the same size?

Amphitrite 03-13-2008 01:23 PM

If it were a larger tank then I would suggest perhaps going for two large groups of tetras, but since the tank isn't that big I would go for just one type. I have a group of neons that look very nice together - I think they look especially nice in a planted tank.

Is your tank planted? Do you have fish in it already?

Lupin 03-13-2008 06:16 PM

A 10g will limit your options. Neons, cardinals, glowlights, ember, flame and loretos are my suggestions.

GoddessTetra 04-06-2008 07:08 PM

I would personally go with the Neon or Flame (aka Von Rio Tetra) Tetras.
Tetras are typically fast movers that prefer longer tanks, so the smaller that tetra for a smaller aquarium. They also prefer to be in schhols of 6+ of their own type.

Edited because I am also the Goddess of Typos.

okiemavis 04-06-2008 07:49 PM

I'd recommend cardinals over neons. They're a little bit brighter colored, and they won't loose their color as they get old. You could also try for something smaller, like the celestial pearl danio (I know, not a tetra). With shoaling fish, the bigger the group, the cooler they look, and smaller means you can fit more. Plus, they're happier in larger groups.

GoddessTetra 04-06-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiemavis
I'd recommend cardinals over neons. They're a little bit brighter colored, and they won't loose their color as they get old. You could also try for something smaller, like the celestial pearl danio (I know, not a tetra). With shoaling fish, the bigger the group, the cooler they look, and smaller means you can fit more. Plus, they're happier in larger groups.

Cardinals do have lovlier color, but can be harder to find and a bit pricer than Neons because of that. I agree that Danios are great too. They also make a great dither for lazy fish.

NirV 06-30-2008 02:13 PM

I recommend Buenos Aires/Rio tetras, if your other fish aren't slow eaters. Keep them in a shoal of 6 or more, in a large tank, and they will thrive and mix well with other species. I've noticed no comments on these and thought I would introduce my favourite tetra when you aren't looking for a challenging fish. Also, the plant eating myth: They nibble on new plant shoots, but leave mature plants alone, especially if well-fed.