Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   plz help me set up a 55 - 75 gallon fresh water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/plz-help-me-set-up-55-a-128604/)

Juicebox 02-12-2013 01:12 PM

plz help me set up a 55 - 75 gallon fresh water

Hi guys.im new to the forum,ive been using the betta forum for a few months now and have had lots of great info from there but now im trying to branch out from bettas and enjoy other fish..

ive currently got a 14g and a 5.5 gallon and a 10g npts. substrate is organic soil topped with sand..ive got bettas,guppies,ghost shrimp, pond snails,assasin snails.malaysian trumpet snails..

in a couple months when i have the funding id like to branch out and create a big vocal tank.. the tank size will be a minimum of 55 gallon with a maximum of 75 gallon.. right now im trying to do the research and find out what ill need..

heres where i need your help..

im not sure on what livestock ill want in my tank but i will for sure want live plants and possibly a sand substrate,maybe with organic soil underneath,im not sure if ill go npt yet..

FILTER.......

im going to get a canister filter,im thinking fluval because i hear they are best.. im thinking of going with an fx5 but im just not sure if that will be total overkill for a 55 or 75 and will do more harm then good,if i have shrimp and snails in my tank i dont know if a big canister will suck them up and also suck up any fry i might have??im also afraid an fx5 or any big canister might have too much of a flow output and will blow mt fish and plants and sand all over the tank?if not the fx5 then im thinking of goin for the 406,its rated up to 100 gallons.. but again not sure if its snail or shrimp or fry or plant safe..i do like to have some floating plants on surface

HEATER...

Is it best to go with 2 heaters,1 on each end of the tank??can anyone suggest a great trusty brand of heater that will last a few years?

HOOD AND LIGHTING...

Should i buy a tank that comes with a hood,like from petco or petsmart,or just buy a bare tank and then get seperate everything else?

for lighting,ive no idea what kind of lighting i need, do i get the tubes,or bulbs,what kind of lighting unit is needed for a tank or that size,any links would be really appreciated here :)

__________________________________________________ ____________________

FISH....

Im aware that all my decor and lighting and plants and substrate will depend on what fish i have in my tank,so given that,if i want to have the plants and a sandy type substrate with some rocks and driftwood what are some nice fish i can keep in my tank.. im aware a 55 and 75 might hold different types of fish but right now i cant give a definate answer as to the size ill end up goin..

Id love some nice display fish,centre fish, colourfull fish, this could be a pair or a single fish..
I would like some shrimp in there but the fish come first,if theres nice fish i can have that would eat shrimp then i can leave the shrimp out,same goes for snails,id like some rabbit snails in my tank but if the nice pretty centerpiece fish would eat the rabbit snails then i can go with no rabbits..

i would like to have the possibility of raising some fry from my fish in the future,if its needed maybe i can get another tank to raise the fry in if they wont live in the main tank with the parents..

id possibly like a community of different fish but im also not opposed to just having 5 or 6 big fish in the tank if they are stunning beautifull fish..

some fish ive seen and liked the look of are as follows

rainbow shark
red tail shark
tiger barbs
rams
angel fish
fresh water puffer fish
i also like the look of some gouramis too..
cichlids,but i dont want to go brackish or salt water..
halfmoon betta

im aware that the fish ive listed may not be stunning fish to the advanced keepers but its just fish i saw and thought they were cool,im no expert on all the types of fish that are available,this is where i need your help..i want to be able to kick back after a hard days work and look at my fish and think wow,they are amazing fish to look at..

im really lookin forward to any advice and feedback you guys can give,im sure ill have dozens more questions, i want to get everything right first time and not waste money and time with rookie mistakes

thank you!!

OSagent23 02-12-2013 01:29 PM

Hello juicebox,

If you want to, take a look at my 75 gallon aquarium and see if you like the setup and fish. If you do I can help you identify the filters and all the goodies i have in the tank that make it successful. If you dont maybe someone here or myself can assist you further.

Byron 02-12-2013 03:49 PM

Welcome to the TFK side.:wave:

Before deciding on a filter, decide on the fish. With live plants filtration is minimal, and more of a mechanical movement of the water through media to keep it clear. The current depends upon the needs of the fish, which vary.

Two heaters definitely for any 4+ foot tank. Or, consider a canister with a built-in heating unit. I have one of these and really like it, much more preferable to hanging heaters. More accurate, better heat dispersal, and two less things dangling in the tank.

Lighting will depend upon the type of planted tank. Generally speaking, fish prefer less light so I base the light on the fish and then select the plants that work. You can range from a low-tech or natural planted tank up to a high-tech with mega light, diffused CO2 and daily dosing of nutrients.

Your fish list I understand is just some ideas; some of these will not work together. You might want to check the info in our profiles, second heading from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page, I think all those listed are included.

Most of us have photos of our tanks in our logs, under the "Aquariums" tab below our name on the left.

Byron.

Juicebox 02-12-2013 07:12 PM

thank you very much for the replies.. yes the fish i mentioned were just fish i saw and liked the look of,i was not suggesting i will keep them all in a tank.. just more of a guide for you guys to see which kind of fish ive taken a liking to so far..

i was hoping somebody could tell me of some nice fish that will fit well in that size of a tank and then i can chose a fish and then work from there as far as plants and lighting and substrate..

i would not like to use co2 or dosing every day into the tank unless i absolutely have to..

what fish can you guys recomend for me to look at? my aim with the 55 - 75 is to get a couple nice big fish in there. ones ranging from mayb 6 inch to 10 inch or as big as possible with my size of tank..i understand certain fish need certain size for swimming and such, i have no got alot of knowledge on the types of fish :(

osagent i love your tank,it looks great,your fish are some fish i would not put in mine though,id rather something different

MMAfish35 02-12-2013 09:19 PM

Have you looked at Discuss fish? They are beautiful fish, but on second though, are hard to take care of. Hmm a good looking hardy, beginner fish... How about Rainbow fish? They are hardy and easy to care for. You could also put a good amount of them in a 55 or a 70. As far as I know they dont mess with live plants either. Also, I'm a beginner too so my word is far from gospel.

MMAfish35 02-12-2013 09:19 PM

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...I8ec1Xy-6E#p=0 Thats some pics of rainbows.

thekoimaiden 02-12-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMAfish35 (Post 1428973)
Have you looked at Discuss fish? They are beautiful fish, but on second though, are hard to take care of. Hmm a good looking hardy, beginner fish... How about Rainbow fish? They are hardy and easy to care for. You could also put a good amount of them in a 55 or a 70. As far as I know they dont mess with live plants either. Also, I'm a beginner too so my word is far from gospel.

Discus are beautiful, but certainly not for beginners. Even experienced fishkeepers shun them for the maintenance they require.

Juicebox, there are a LOT of fish that work well in a 75/55 gal tank. You have a lot of options. The majority of common aquarium fish would work in that tank. I think the best way to go about this would be to pick a fish you REALLY want to have and base the rest of the stocking around that.

For example, if you wanted tiger barbs, we would suggest other large and boisterous barbs and tetra like congo tetra or black ruby barbs, but they would not do well with angelfish. Most of the fish you like wouldn't go together well. This is why I suggest this method instead of us blindly suggesting things. What I would like to stock a 55 gal community with is probably not what you would want judging from the list of fish you like.

Juicebox 02-14-2013 06:47 PM

thanks for the replies guys..

i guess im lookin for some big 6 - 10 inch fish that i can have at least 1 pair or more of and will possibly mate..

if they are peacefull fish and wont eat rabbit snails and red cherry shrimp then thats a bonus but not a must..

i know most big fish will find anything smaller than them food,especially shrimp but maybe theres some exceptions?

i also like the rams fish,bolivian rams i believe they are called,they look like chiclids but i wouldnt need to make my water brackish so this is appealing to me, if a pair of them will get along with my big fish that would be great but if not then ok i can go without the rams

maybe some botom feeders would be good too as id like fish at all levels or at least 2 levels, it seems everyone raves about cory cats and how great they are,but is there any other alternative for soome attractive bottom dwelling fish that would get along with any big fish you suggest for me? i would not be against gettin a small school of cory cats,serpai colour or some other..

lets assume i go for some angel fish if no one else can suggest anything else, i do like the look of them, what can i put with these,will any of my above mentioned fish go with them

Byron 02-14-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juicebox (Post 1430925)

i guess im lookin for some big 6 - 10 inch fish that i can have at least 1 pair or more of and will possibly mate..

if they are peacefull fish and wont eat rabbit snails and red cherry shrimp then thats a bonus but not a must..

i know most big fish will find anything smaller than them food,especially shrimp but maybe theres some exceptions?

i also like the rams fish,bolivian rams i believe they are called,they look like chiclids but i wouldnt need to make my water brackish so this is appealing to me, if a pair of them will get along with my big fish that would be great but if not then ok i can go without the rams

maybe some botom feeders would be good too as id like fish at all levels or at least 2 levels, it seems everyone raves about cory cats and how great they are,but is there any other alternative for soome attractive bottom dwelling fish that would get along with any big fish you suggest for me? i would not be against gettin a small school of cory cats,serpai colour or some other..

lets assume i go for some angel fish if no one else can suggest anything else, i do like the look of them, what can i put with these,will any of my above mentioned fish go with them

I would suggest you browse our fish profiles, second heading from the left in the blue bar across the top. Data on many species are included, including water parameters (this is important), tank sizes, numbers, compatibility, etc. At the least you will get some ideas from those, and learn the limitations of various species too which will help you narrow it down.

thekoimaiden 02-15-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juicebox (Post 1430925)

Breeding fish isn't easy in a community tank. If you want to bred, it's best to set up a dedicated tank to that. I have a friend with a pair of breeding angels and had to remove all of the other fish in her tank because the angels became too aggressive towards the other fish. Rabbit snails are safe with angels, tho. She has rabbit snails in the tank.

A school of angels would be great in your tank, but unless it's heavily planted you will not have many RCS left. Even my small gourami pick them off. If you wanted to make an angelfish tank you want to look into thicker-bodied tetra like lemon tetra or bleeding heart tetra. The angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare) profile will have more suggestions.