Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Debate: The Five Senses (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/debate-five-senses-1286/)

Rebecca 11-09-2006 01:35 PM

Debate: The Five Senses

This sounds like a debate that could be interesting. Probably it will die in a couple days. :P But it could be the forum's first real debate thread! :)

So, if you had to choose one sense to give up, which would it be and why?
Since I'm the... errrrr... Debate-Master I don't have to choose a sense, I just get to refute your arguments. :mrgreen: lol ;)

girlofgod 11-09-2006 01:52 PM

for me it would have to be either smell or taste...or both (as previously stated you cant really lose one without the other) ...but is there any way to lose the sense of touch without losing your hands? i guess that would mean that all your nerve endings were dead or something..that would be weird...but i couldnt imagine not being able to FEEL things...you know, like when you kiss someone, or hug your ddaughter, or just the sand between your toes....weird...and i couldnt live without hearing or seeing, so it would have to be taste/smell for me.

bri

dprUsh83 11-09-2006 02:45 PM

I would definitely not give up sight or hearing, since that's the most obvious way to interpret the world. I absolutely could not give up touch, because it helps me interpret the good and bad things that I come into contact with. If I lose my sense of smell, I inevitably can't taste the same way again. This leaves me choosing between keeping my sense of smell and a weakened sense of taste. I'd rather get rid of taste altogether (which after I adapt would make it easier to diet!). Although there are negatives to losing any sense, I feel that this leaves me in the best position to enjoy life.

JouteiMike 11-09-2006 03:16 PM

It's a close one between taste and smell...but thinking more into it I would probably rather lose taste.

In your nose you have bunch of "olfactory nerves" that pick up the odors and send them to your brain. When you eat something, the odors from your mouth pass up into your nasal cavity, where they stimulate those nerves. The odors can stimulate them thousands more times then the actual food stimulates your taste-buds. Bringing back the idea of the cold and not being able to taste your food, that's mainly because the olfactory system is blocked. I don't think you completely lose your sense of taste though, you can still distinguish between sweet, salty, and bitter.

If I chose to lose taste, it would suck if I got a cold, cuase then I wouldn't be able to smell the taste :lol:

Amphitrite 11-09-2006 04:46 PM

I think I would have chosen smell, but since I bought a new perfume today that one's out the window.

Can't choose between the rest... sorry :lol:

Mike 11-09-2006 05:07 PM

I choose taste. Not only would I be able to continue enjoying and experiencing life with my other senses, but it would make holiday meals at my mother's place that much more bearable. Just kidding, Mom... your cooking is great :)

Mike aka "Admin"

girlofgod 11-09-2006 05:30 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Rebecca 11-09-2006 08:22 PM

Hmmm... it seems this isn't a very good debate subject. Count on me to choose something EVERYONE AGREES on!! :P :roll:

Lupin 11-09-2006 09:42 PM

One sense I'd lose?
Common sense.:smoke: I'm going for the insanity anyway.:brow:

Not hearing-My hearing problems are starting to improve.:mrgreen: I get a headache whenever I hear high-pitched sounds.:blink:

Not sight-I hate the dark world.

Not taste-I don't want to miss the taste of tacos and hamburgers.:crazy:

Not touch-I won't be able to feel the softness of rose petals.:mrgreen:

Not smell-Otherwise, I won't be able to smell the aroma of my coffee.:blueworry:

joeshmoe 11-09-2006 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue
One sense I'd lose?
Common sense.:smoke: I'm going for the insanity anyway.:brow:

Not hearing-My hearing problems are starting to improve.:mrgreen: I get a headache whenever I hear high-pitched sounds.:blink:

Not sight-I hate the dark world.

Not taste-I don't want to miss the taste of tacos and hamburgers.:crazy:

Not touch-I won't be able to feel the softness of rose petals.:mrgreen:

Not smell-Otherwise, I won't be able to smell the aroma of my coffee.:blueworry:

blues going for the insantiy pleed :D