Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Got A New Tank, I Don't Know What To Do With It! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/got-new-tank-i-dont-know-128594/)

emeraldsky 02-12-2013 12:50 PM

Got A New Tank, I Don't Know What To Do With It!

So yesterday I went and got a new tank off craigslist, its 29 gallons but not the same dimensions as a standard one. I couldnt say no, it was only 15$ and I love odd shaped tanks :angel:

Dimensions:
24L" x 18D" x 15.5H"
So its mostly a cube
A heavy cube

Its also smells horribly!
(Whats the ratio for bleach to water for cleaning again?)

Since it'll be awhile until I can set it up, I'm looking at ideas!
When I get everything going, I may make a tank journal since itll be the first tank I'm properly putting together with cycling and such.

First and foremost, what I know about my water:
Between 3.4 dGH and 11 dGH
PH: 7.6

All my tanks right now are very heavily planted so I wanted to try something a bit more sparse looking
Something like Iwagumi tanks but you know, no where near as nice looking :lol:

I'm toying with these stocking ideas:
2 Goldfish, probably fancies, since I believe theyre the smallest goldies that are readily available to me and goldfish are fantastic
or
1 giant school of pygmy cories because WHY NOT

Fish I like in general:
Lemon tetra
Silvertip Tetra
Diamond Tetra
Pygmy Hatchetfish
Rummynose Tetra
Golden Barb
Harlequin Rasbora

I like fish that keep in tight groups too

So yea, ideas and feedback would be loved.
For stocking or for the layout, im open to ideas!

thekoimaiden 02-12-2013 01:10 PM

If you did pure rockwork you could probably have the goldfish, but the kinds of plants that are usually in aquascapes are like goldfish candy. Personally, I think that tank would look a little cramped with fully grown goldfish (not to mention the water changes).

If your water really is soft (you might want to narrow down that range a little bit), you could do an amazon biotope with cories on the bottom, rummynose in the column, and hatchetfish on the top. Have a lot of driftwood and only have floating plants. Just make sure you have a nice cover for the hatchetfish. It would certainly be a contrast to your other tanks.

emeraldsky 02-12-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1428379)
If you did pure rockwork you could probably have the goldfish, but the kinds of plants that are usually in aquascapes are like goldfish candy. Personally, I think that tank would look a little cramped with fully grown goldfish (not to mention the water changes).

If your water really is soft (you might want to narrow down that range a little bit), you could do an amazon biotope with cories on the bottom, rummynose in the column, and hatchetfish on the top. Have a lot of driftwood and only have floating plants. Just make sure you have a nice cover for the hatchetfish. It would certainly be a contrast to your other tanks.

If I did goldfish, I'd set up the tank specifically for them. Rock work and possibly some anubias but mostly open. If I remember right they cant chew on anubias because the leaves are too tough?
But yes, I was slightly worried about space but theres one fantail at my local petsmart of all places thats pure white with one orange pectoral and I fell in love. Made me remember why I like goldfish so much!

I dont mind water changes, I actually enjoy them! ;)

Ill see what I can do about narrowing the perimeters.
A biotope may be fun though Im kind of tired of floating plants at the moment. My water lettuce is growing like crazy and Im not going through duckweed ever again. Also Im moderately afraid of pygmy hatchets flying up at my face when I do tank maintenance. :lol: I tend to have my hands in my tanks all the time.

Thanks for the suggestions!

cole mccallister54321 02-12-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeraldsky (Post 1428443)
If I did goldfish, I'd set up the tank specifically for them. Rock work and possibly some anubias but mostly open. If I remember right they cant chew on anubias because the leaves are too tough?
But yes, I was slightly worried about space but theres one fantail at my local petsmart of all places thats pure white with one orange pectoral and I fell in love. Made me remember why I like goldfish so much!

I dont mind water changes, I actually enjoy them! ;)

Ill see what I can do about narrowing the perimeters.
A biotope may be fun though Im kind of tired of floating plants at the moment. My water lettuce is growing like crazy and Im not going through duckweed ever again. Also Im moderately afraid of pygmy hatchets flying up at my face when I do tank maintenance. :lol: I tend to have my hands in my tanks all the time.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I know what ya mean it is irreasistable to sick yours hands in the water but at least with my fish they always interact with me possitivly

emeraldsky 02-12-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cole mccallister54321 (Post 1428471)
I know what ya mean it is irreasistable to sick yours hands in the water but at least with my fish they always interact with me possitivly

Mine like to get in my way!

cole mccallister54321 02-12-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeraldsky (Post 1428495)
Mine like to get in my way!

what i mean is rub up against me somtimes nibble me or tackle my fingers lol

Sanguinefox 02-12-2013 03:09 PM

It is true that Anubias tend to have really tough leaves. I remember my Gourami being frustrated by an anubias that he couldn't shred. Java Fern is also potentially a good plant with plant nippers, because the leaves tend to taste bad to most fish.

emeraldsky 02-12-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanguinefox (Post 1428499)
It is true that Anubias tend to have really tough leaves. I remember my Gourami being frustrated by an anubias that he couldn't shred. Java Fern is also potentially a good plant with plant nippers, because the leaves tend to taste bad to most fish.

I'll remember that as well, I have a really nice piece of it growing in my bowfront that I could move over :-)