Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Filtration questions.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/filtration-questions-12859/)

helpcomputer 03-12-2008 11:22 PM

Filtration questions..

I currently have a 29H tank. I'm upgrading to 55 or 70 gallon in a month or two, but I'd like to start upgrading my equipment as soon as tomorrow. Is there any reason I should buy a name brand (tetra 60, hagen aquaclear 500) instead of a cheaper ebay brand? what about these 'oxygen plus bio-filter' sponge filters? Would it be worth picking one up for 10 bucks to assist my main filter? I am quite cash-strapped right now, so any opinions or deals on cheap (but effective!) filtration would be greatly appreciated.

thank you kindly

Brian

Flashygrrl 03-13-2008 04:10 AM

The words "You get what you pay for" come to mind a lot when it comes to filters. Spend the money now and get the stuff known to work the best and then you don't have to replace it in like, 6 months when it dies on you.

As for the bio-filter, yeah, those are great because they keep the biological system running in the filter even when you have to change the other stuff. Just one warning: Never rinse it under tap water once you have gunk growing on it. Actually, just never rinse it :) You probably don't even need to buy one really. If you buy any Whisper filter you get something like it (little black mesh things), Penguins come with Bio-Wheels, Aqua Clear you don't have to buy any extra sponges for unless you're having to replace what's in there. Top Fin and AquaTech both just kinda suck so don't bother and the tank I have came with one of those Penn-Plax deals that really don't work too great IMO.

helpcomputer 03-13-2008 06:04 PM

Thanks... checking out the emperor 400 and the penguin 350(?). Cheapest emperor 400 I found is on Amazon for 50 bucks with shipping... cheapest penguin 350 I found is 40 with shipping.

Flashygrrl 03-13-2008 06:35 PM

That's about as cheap as you can get them when you figure in shipping. If you're getting a 70 gallon maybe consider an undergravel filter with reverse flow (depending on what substrate and if you want real plants, you might not be able to have it), and then the Penguin filter to pick up all the stuff that comes out. It's a bit more of expense (I know, I know), but would save you at least some time with less gravel cleaning.

Yeah...I'm pretty strapped too so I'm very excited about when I finally get my tax refund :)

icom 03-15-2008 11:02 PM

if your gonna "jump up" to a 55-75g,I wouldnt waste money on a HOB filter,much better off spending the $$$ on a good canister filter like the Rena Filstar XP3..cheaper than you may think,especially here:

www.kensfish.com

unlimited in media variety/choice you can run in it

Ehiem "Classic" canisters are fairly cheap too,a bit harder to clean than a can such as the XP3,but work great

coley 03-15-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icom
if your gonna "jump up" to a 55-75g,I wouldnt waste money on a HOB filter,much better off spending the $$$ on a good canister filter like the Rena Filstar XP3..cheaper than you may think,especially here:

www.kensfish.com

unlimited in media variety/choice you can run in it

Ehiem "Classic" canisters are fairly cheap too,a bit harder to clean than a can such as the XP3,but work great

I agree. XP3 is a great filter. I have one and an AC70 on my 55.

helpcomputer 03-16-2008 06:42 PM

Picked up the Penguin 350 for 26.99 at petsmart.. too good of a deal to pass up. A LFS had a used Emp 400 for 35, but it was used for a few months in a saltwater tank and looked like crap.

Fishcricker 03-16-2008 10:24 PM

I have that Rena Filstar xP3 for my 55 Gal. It is a dream of a filter. Quiet , efficient.

icom 03-17-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishcricker
I have that Rena Filstar xP3 for my 55 Gal. It is a dream of a filter. Quiet , efficient.

you bet it is !!
the water in my 55 has never been cleaner/clearer.You just can't beat a good canister filter,there is just so many options for media to run in the baskets