Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   White String Fuzzy substance growing on plants! Need Help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/white-string-fuzzy-substance-growing-plants-128296/)

prestono2014 02-09-2013 11:21 AM

White String Fuzzy substance growing on plants! Need Help!

Its been going for 4 days now and cannot determine the source. My parameters are perfect for my area. The only thing that comes to my mind is that the lights on my tank aren't strong enough. some of my plants do not appear to have enough lighting and are shriveling. I am running a Marineland Double Bright LED system on a 27 Gallon cube.
Using Flourish Comp fert for my plants, 2 times a week enough?

5 Panda Cories
5 Black Window Tetras

Tank is two weeks in since planted, and I am waiting on moving the fish into this bigger tank until I can fix this problem...
Thanks for any help

prestono2014 02-09-2013 11:47 AM

pictues of the bacteria on the leaves

2 Attachment(s)
heres the pictures of it.

JDM 02-09-2013 03:35 PM

I doubt it is the light being too low, I use a Doublebright and find it fine for everything except the highest light plants. Green Cabomba and it appears a Giant hygrophila are a little too needy. The dwarf Hygrophilia is thriving, and then some. How long are your lights on each day?

Something is out of whack but you've two problems. Shrivelling plants and the growth.

First:
Quote:

Originally Posted by prestono2014 (Post 1424613)
My parameters are perfect for my area.

...but what are they and what does perfect for your area mean? Soft water might cause the plant issue.

The growth looks green in the picks but you said white... Is it, in fact, white and not green?

If the plants are not doing well, for whatever reason, the growth can take off due to an abundance of nutrients that the plants are not using. Probably should cut the fertilization until you figure out what's up... It may be compounding the growth issue.

I looked at your tank in your profile, nice looking tank. One thing that can help with higher light plants is to offset the fixture and specifically plant them directly under the more focused areas under the bulbs. I setup a shade side and a bright side, java fern and crypts in the shade and everything else in the light.

You could have put the tetras in the tank right after the plants. The fish produce ammonia and CO2 which would help the plants. Mine took off each time I added new fish.

Jeff.

prestono2014 02-09-2013 04:06 PM

Okay my parameters are:
pH: 7.6
Nitrites:0
Nitrates:0
Ammonia:0

The tetras were added the day after plants were in. The Corys were added 4 days after plants.

The growth appears to be white or a very very faint green.
My light is placed mostly over the moderate light and covers the low light plants pretty well.
I also just realized I can no longer seem to find the shrimp I had that were cleaning the plants.

The growth on the biger leafed plant is only on 1 leaf...

JDM 02-09-2013 04:38 PM

Sorry meant parameters GH and KH.

Jeff
Posted via Mobile Device

prestono2014 02-09-2013 11:06 PM

The local hardness is:
1.5-4.0gpg 26-68ppm
Which is Slightly to Moderate Hardness

Sorry for the late response...

Freshcatch 02-10-2013 01:30 PM

It looks like hair algae, but maybe someone else can weigh in here.

Byron 02-10-2013 04:22 PM

I can't see anything white on the leaf of that sword in the first picture, only the green algae around the leaf edge. There is a lot of this on the leaves of the lower plants in the second photo.

Can you post a clearer photo of the leaf with the white? Not too close, it might be more focused back a bit.

I just looked at the photo in your log. The sword is new, and the existing leaves are the emersed form, so expect them to yellow and die off as new growth appears from the centre of the crown. Are you seeing new growth yet? The "white" may just be a whitening of the leaf as it is providing nutrients to the new leaves.

Byron.

JDM 02-10-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prestono2014 (Post 1425322)
The local hardness is:
1.5-4.0gpg 26-68ppm
Which is Slightly to Moderate Hardness

Sorry for the late response...

Moderate hardness? That puts it at a maximum of 4dGH and I would consider that soft but I am dealing with as much as 23dGH which is in the neighbourhood of 400ppm. I will admit that most anything is softer than that. Byron would know better how that may affect plants and how to adjust it, but I think it is a little low... 5-6 dGH is better.

Jeff.

Byron 02-11-2013 11:06 AM

A GH of 4 dGH [= 71 ppm] is soft. "Soft" and similar terms are approximate guides, but the few degrees within each term is of little significance. Plants generally require 4 dGH minimum in order to have sufficient calcium and magnesium. It somewhat depends upon the plant species.

My tap water is 0.7 [= 7 ppm] GH, which is almost zero minerals. I have tanks to which I add nothing other than Flourish Comprehensive which has a very minimal amount of calcium and magnesium, and plants like Java Moss, pygmy chain swords, floating Pennywort and Water Sprite are lush and thriving. But in my larger tanks, the large Echinodorus swords fail without adding the hard minerals which I do via Equilibrium, to raise the GH to 5 dGH. The Red Tiger Lotus also requires this, and the crypts do better. Some plants, such as Vallisneria, will not last in this soft water, so I don't try them.

Byron.