Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   cloudy water- 7 gallons tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cloudy-water-7-gallons-tank-12829/)

nabil 03-11-2008 11:46 PM

cloudy water- 7 gallons tank

I have a problem with my tank...itt always get cloudy after 2 week. what is the problem actually? I feed too much or the filter problem? now I'm using 3 liter/minute (filter) using sponge filter. Hope you all can suggest some idea...

Falina 03-12-2008 12:15 AM

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?

What fish do you have?

When feeding, feed only as much as the fish can eat in a few minutes, and remove anything uneaten and you should never overfeed. Once a day is plenty IMHO as well.

Do you have your water paraeters to hand?

nabil 03-16-2008 10:29 PM

i do change the water twice a month. all i have inside it is oscar, catfish, koi, pleco, tiger balm and guppy. once I fed them, I'll ensure that all pellet finished. Thats why I keep asking myself what is the problem...another thing, you do mention about IMHO. What is that?

Cody 03-16-2008 10:45 PM

Your water is cloudy because you are WAAAY overstocked.

Lets look at your fish.

-Oscar. Will reach 16". 75G minimum.
-Catfish. I dont know of any cat that can fit in a 7G.
-Koi. Will reach 36" in length, and isn't really suited for home aquariums. 200G minimum is kept in a tank.
-Pleco. No pleco should be kept in a 7G. The smallest one will reach 5", but most wil leasily exceed 12"+. What do you have?
-Tiger Balm? Tiger Barb? They should be in groups and have at least 24" of swimming space.
-Guppy should be in groups.

Your fish are living in hell. Even two water changes a month will never be enough.

Get all of the fish out.

miagrrl 03-16-2008 10:56 PM

wow, i agree. none of those fish are appropriate tankmates, and none of them will even fit in the 7 gallon once full grown. you need multiple seprate tanks, much larger, and the barbs and guppies need to be in groups.

also, the fish you have need different water temps and conditions.

Flashygrrl 03-17-2008 06:27 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with Cody. And the sponge filter is doing absolutely nothing for them. It's a miracle they haven't gone belly-up as of yet. If you can't afford the said tanks you need, I would seriously go around to all the (good) LFS's and ask if they will take them.

Oh, and IMHO is just short for In My Honest Opinion.

Sorry for the bad news but you gotta get them outta there.

nabil 03-18-2008 03:24 AM

Actually all my fish still small sizes. those koi is still not even an inch...also the catfish. oscar just about 4inch

Flashygrrl 03-18-2008 05:52 AM

They will not be for long, and if they grow (instead of dying) they WILL be stunted or deformed. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Start making a plan for them.

Cody 03-18-2008 09:43 AM

And their bioloads are huge. A 4" Oscar carrys an 8" Bioload. This is the same for the Koi, pleco, and catfish.

We are trying to help you. Your fish will die if they are kept in there. Plus, you arn't doing enough water changes.

okiemavis 03-18-2008 05:43 PM

Not to mention koi should not be kept in a tropical tank! They need cooler water to do well.