Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   What do you feed your otos (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/what-do-you-feed-your-otos-128192/)

ao 02-08-2013 08:53 AM

What do you feed your otos

Its been a year before I last had otos. (gave the last batch away when I rescaped)
My old batch used to eat cucumbers and spinach. however only one out of my current three otos has taken to the cucumber and zucchini. Im going to give the other to some time before I resort two stuff like repashy...
I also want to try seaweed, has anyone done this before?
amy other suggestions for oto food?

fashionfobie 02-08-2013 06:13 PM

My otos enjoy broccoli and I also use Hikari algae wafers. They keep sticking eggs about so I think they are satisfied :)

MSG 02-08-2013 06:25 PM

Don't you eat salad? Give it a little julienne sliver of veggies, so you don't end up wasting any food. Of course they won't EAT fresh veggies. They prefer the slightly rotten stuff. So when you're cleaning out your salad, pick out the rotten bits and toss into the tank.

They'll eat that.

I had a small school of them but eventually I got tired of playing "Where's Oto" every time I approached the tank.

Glad they're no longer on sale or I would own 5 of them now.

fashionfobie 02-08-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG (Post 1423789)
Of course they won't EAT fresh veggies. They prefer the slightly rotten stuff. So when you're cleaning out your salad, pick out the rotten bits and toss into the tank.

This is a great tip. When I do broccoli I soak it in water for a few days, so tasty!

ao 02-08-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG (Post 1423789)
Don't you eat salad? Give it a little julienne sliver of veggies, so you don't end up wasting any food. Of course they won't EAT fresh veggies. They prefer the slightly rotten stuff. So when you're cleaning out your salad, pick out the rotten bits and toss into the tank.

They'll eat that.

I had a small school of them but eventually I got tired of playing "Where's Oto" every time I approached the tank.

Glad they're no longer on sale or I would own 5 of them now.

LOL well i throw my veggies in the microwave for 3 minutes. they're ready to real apart by the time I take them out. I got one interested in zucchini and another in spinach. the third one... which seems to be of a diff sp. is the one that worries me the most :/

fashionfobie 02-08-2013 06:56 PM

I need to start remembering... microwaves! I will start following suit! Somehow this seems far more logical than my previous habit.

Kitty Whiskers 02-12-2013 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Otos like Cucumber & Zucchini as veggies. They like TetraMin Algae Wafers too. The also like to eat Hikari Sinking Wafers For Bottom Feeders, that I feed to my Cory Catfish.

Here is a picture of a few of my Otos looking for the Algae wafer I just put into the tank (And my female Rosy Barb who is always looking for a snack LOL)

ao 02-12-2013 03:10 PM

all of them are taking nicely to the blanched (overcooked more like) veggies.
one has a permanent sucked in stomach o_O so I qted him...