Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Questions for flowerhorn keepers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/questions-flowerhorn-keepers-128175/)

aemaki09 02-07-2013 11:57 PM

Questions for flowerhorn keepers

I've been noticing FH's going for insane (to me ) amounts of money recently, and I'm trying to understand it a little better, so if you could answer these questions that would be amazing!

Why are flowerhorns so appealing to you?

How many do/have you had?

What is the most you have spent on one? What would be the most you would be willing to spend on one?

Why are they so expensive? I have read that pricing them goes by their spots and kok, but I dont understand why its priced that way?

Do they really have enough personality to take place of a family dog?

Do you do species only tanks with them, or stick them in a community? If you stick them in a community, why? (I just feel like if I spend a few hundred on a fish, I would have him in a bare bottom decor-less tank so it wouldnt injure itself)

Do you breed them? How many babies do you get? How many quality babies do you get?

What variation is your favorite, and what makes it so cool to you?

Are they really as infertile as people claim?

Are they pretty laid back, or agressive?

Are they prone to any certain diseases?

What kind of tank do you keep them in? Heavily decorated? What type of substrate?

Are they clean or dirty fish? Whats their bio-load like?

I read that the most expensive FH went for lie 600,000 (not sure if it was malaysian or US currency) does anyone have a picture of that fish? I'd like to see it and compare to other fish that are selling for a lot.

Sorry for all the questions!
If you have anything else you want to tell me about them, why you like them, what makes them so special, etc. I Would really love to hear it. I am trying so hard to understand why they are worth so much money to people.

Tazman 02-08-2013 09:02 AM

Simple answer is being hybrids you never what the end result of a mature specimen will look like. Those that turn out good looking command the higher prices.

They are thought of in Asia to bring good luck and as such for the reason above, command high prices.

Do they really have enough personality to take place of a family dog?
I dont think you can really compare a fish to a family dog.

Do you do species only tanks with them, or stick them in a community? If you stick them in a community, why? (I just feel like if I spend a few hundred on a fish, I would have him in a bare bottom decor-less tank so it wouldnt injure itself)

They need a large tank for a community and can be quite aggressive, many people keep them alone as being a man made hybrid you can never tell what their aggression level will be.

Are they really as infertile as people claim?

When they first came out they were very infertile, over time though they have been selective breed and become more fertile.

Are they pretty laid back, or aggressive?

Being a cross between some of the more aggressive South American cichlids such as the Midas, they tend to be on the aggressive to extremely aggressive side. There are species slowly coming out that are crossbreed to be less aggressive although most Flowerhorns are terrors.

Are they prone to any certain diseases?

Not really anymore than a pure breed species would be.

What kind of tank do you keep them in? Heavily decorated? What type of substrate?

A large tank above 75g is ideal for them as they do get quite big and need the space to swim around in. Substrate can be almost anything, sand, gravel whatever you like really.

Are they clean or dirty fish? Whats their bio-load like?

They require a lot of heavy filtration as they are messy fish and eat a lot. Sand is sometimes preferred for this reason as it is easier to vacuum than gravel.

Hope this helps.