Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Are these fish compatible? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/these-fish-compatible-128008/)

Newfishguy 02-06-2013 07:24 AM

Are these fish compatible?

I am looking to get a few different fish for my 75g tank. They all can live within the same temp and ph. But, The Kh for these fish are at different levels. As my name suggests I am a fish noob. I have not tested for Kh ever. Will this stop me from integrating the fish I want?

Fish are as follows:
Roseline barb (denizen) kh 4-10 ph 6.5-7.8
Rainbow kh 9-19 ph 7-8
Cardinal tetra kh 2-6 ph 5.5-7.5
Rio **** L135 kh 6-10 ph 6.5-7.4
Singapore shrimp kh 3-10 ph 6.5-8

I have no idea about what kh are and what kh levels in my tank are. Living in Colorado my ph is naturally around 7.8.

funkman262 02-06-2013 07:35 AM

KH refers to your temporary hardness aka carbonate hardness aka alkalinity. Fish are very adaptable, especially tank-bred/raised which is becoming more abundant these days. Those "ideal" conditions may only matter when breeding certain species. Some people try changing around their water chemistry using buffers and such but that can lead to horrible crashes down the road. It's best to drip acclimate newcomers to prevent any sort of shock.

JDM 02-06-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newfishguy (Post 1420926)
I am looking to get a few different fish for my 75g tank. They all can live within the same temp and ph. But, The Kh for these fish are at different levels. As my name suggests I am a fish noob. I have not tested for Kh ever. Will this stop me from integrating the fish I want?

Fish are as follows:
Rainbow kh 9-19 ph 7-8

I have no idea about what kh are and what kh levels in my tank are. Living in Colorado my ph is naturally around 7.8.

If you are on municipal water you can get the numbers from the water treatment plant, perhaps they are posted on their website, others have been. I have very hard water with 23dGH and 21dKH but find that it tends to go lower in the tank depending on a few factors. Witha 7.8 I would assume (but don't know) that your water is on the hard side... maybe over 10dGH (GH is more important to know that KH but the test kit that measures one also measures the other). I chose fish that had ranges that included those levels assuming that I cold lower it somewhat by using reverse osmosis water as necessary to cut the hardness.

To say that fish are adaptable is a pretty board statement that needs some clarification. The ranges that are given are ideal ranges for the fish and some tank raised generations of fish can tolerate wider ranges but tolerating and thriving are two different things. So it comes down to a personal decision as to which conditions that you prefer to keep fish in, tolerating or thriving... of course there is also a third option, just keeping them alive... but I don't think that one applies here.

Jeff.

Byron 02-06-2013 11:48 AM

Perhaps a clarification is needed, as we are talking about KH and GH in this thread and these are not the same thing.

KH (Alkalinity or carbonate hardness) has no effect whatsoever on fish. But it does serve to buffer pH, so that may be relevant.

GH or general hardness is very important for fish, in most cases moreso than pH. Knowing the GH of your tap water is very important. You can read the details here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-73276/

As Jeff said, the GH you can ascertain from the water folks.

Now, aside from that, let's look at the list of fish you posted. There are some non-compatibles, for various reasons. At this point I am going to refer you to our fish profiles; each contains data on water parameters, tank sizes, numbers (some fish are shoaling and need groups), compatibility, etc. You can ask specific questions but please have a read of the fish profile. Profiles are under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. If the name in the profile is used identically in a post it will shade and you can click that for the profile pop-up. Example Cardinal Tetra, Denisons Barb. There are three rainbowfish profiles so far, and a couple pleco.

Byron.

erinbirdsong 02-06-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newfishguy (Post 1420926)

Fish are as follows:
Rainbow kh 9-19 ph 7-8

You might also check out the following site we discovered yesterday.

Just plug in your info and it gives you come neat information. I don't know how completely accurate it is as I am new to fish keeoping but I found it neat nonetheless.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor