Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   angelfish with salt? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/angelfish-salt-127971/)

Alex1331 02-05-2013 06:26 PM

angelfish with salt?

Is salt for treatment reasons ok with angelfish i think i may have ich i see like 2 spots on one of my six angels and if it is ich i wanna hit it fast im gunna do a 25%water change and my temp is allready at 81 salt a good idea or what?

AndrewM21 02-06-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex1331 (Post 1420356)
Is salt for treatment reasons ok with angelfish i think i may have ich i see like 2 spots on one of my six angels and if it is ich i wanna hit it fast im gunna do a 25%water change and my temp is allready at 81 salt a good idea or what?

Angelfish can tolerate salt, yes. But Angelfish can thrive in waters up to 86F, therefore salt is not necessary. Crank up your heater to about 84 and let heat run it's course. After that, vacuum the aquarium and do some water changes to get rid of the ich spores.

Byron 02-07-2013 11:59 AM

I would not use salt as there are safer methods. Raising the temp as suggested, up to 90F for a week, adding airstone is advisable, will deal with ich. Another remedy is CopperSafe with delicate fish at 85F.

Salt does affect fish, and soft water fish are best not exposed to it; it will add more stress on top of everything else.

Alex1331 02-07-2013 04:07 PM

Ok i have a bubble wall and i can crank my airator and turn my heat up to what? Like 85?

AndrewM21 02-07-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex1331 (Post 1422681)
Ok i have a bubble wall and i can crank my airator and turn my heat up to what? Like 85?

85 would do the trick, I'd let it run at this temperature for about a week and see how everything looks in the tank. After you no longer see signs of ich on the fish, you are going to want to vacuum the aquarium and do a water change. I would recommend doing a change + vacuum daily (if possible) but certainly not necessary.

FishyFishy89 02-07-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewM21 (Post 1421360)
Angelfish can tolerate salt, yes. But Angelfish can thrive in waters up to 86F, therefore salt is not necessary. Crank up your heater to about 84 and let heat run it's course. After that, vacuum the aquarium and do some water changes to get rid of the ich spores.

ditto
Best of luck on treating your angels!

Alex1331 02-07-2013 06:36 PM

Thanx guys im slowly raising temp now

Byron 02-08-2013 09:43 AM

I would raise the temp close to 90F, angelfish are OK for a week. At 85F it will likely not be sufficient to kill the ich.

AndrewM21 02-08-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1423313)
I would raise the temp close to 90F, angelfish are OK for a week. At 85F it will likely not be sufficient to kill the ich.

I normally would not disagree with 'temperature' requirements, but what you have posted is quite misleading. Temperatures above 78F will accelerate ichs life span and kill it in a little over a week, saying that 85F is not sufficient is quite misleading and will put an unnecessary strain on the fish when not required.

Angelfish will survive in 90F water, but boosting up the temperature that high is certainly not necessary. It is documented (very well) that temperatures above 78F will accelerate the disease, the higher the heat, the faster it dies. 85F would be sufficient to accelerate the life cycle in a short period of time and then you can clean up the mess afterwards.

I myself have successfully heat treated Ich infested aquariums in 82F water, thus showing it can be done with quite lower temperatures than what you described. Before ye go on to say that the above temperature is not sufficient to "destroy" the organism, I didn't say it was or wasn't. Temperatures of around 86F with proper aeration will ensure the disease is abolished but it can be treated with much lower water temperatures over an extended period of time and water changes.

Not saying your suggestion is wrong, but I'm saying it's misleading. With posts like that you will probably have people trying to treat lower temperature fish in 90 Degree water and whoops, something bad happened?

Byron 02-09-2013 10:43 AM

It was a few months back, and I can't remember who or where, that I read this. Temp at 90F will kill the ich, if fish can manage that, but not at lower temps. If you can provide some info on other info, I would welcome it. B.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewM21 (Post 1423596)
I normally would not disagree with 'temperature' requirements, but what you have posted is quite misleading. Temperatures above 78F will accelerate ichs life span and kill it in a little over a week, saying that 85F is not sufficient is quite misleading and will put an unnecessary strain on the fish when not required.

Angelfish will survive in 90F water, but boosting up the temperature that high is certainly not necessary. It is documented (very well) that temperatures above 78F will accelerate the disease, the higher the heat, the faster it dies. 85F would be sufficient to accelerate the life cycle in a short period of time and then you can clean up the mess afterwards.

I myself have successfully heat treated Ich infested aquariums in 82F water, thus showing it can be done with quite lower temperatures than what you described. Before ye go on to say that the above temperature is not sufficient to "destroy" the organism, I didn't say it was or wasn't. Temperatures of around 86F with proper aeration will ensure the disease is abolished but it can be treated with much lower water temperatures over an extended period of time and water changes.

Not saying your suggestion is wrong, but I'm saying it's misleading. With posts like that you will probably have people trying to treat lower temperature fish in 90 Degree water and whoops, something bad happened?