Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Platy breeding questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/platy-breeding-questions-127944/)

tankman12 02-05-2013 02:45 PM

Platy breeding questions

I have 2 female dawn platies, 1 male and 1 female bumble bee platies, and 1 male 1 female sunset platies in my 29g. They have been in there for a couple of months. But nothing yet. What should i be doing to get them to breed? Should i get more female or males?
Posted via Mobile Device

marshallsea 02-05-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankman12 (Post 1420055)
I have 2 female dawn platies, 1 male and 1 female bumble bee platies, and 1 male 1 female sunset platies in my 29g. They have been in there for a couple of months. But nothing yet. What should i be doing to get them to breed? Should i get more female or males?
Posted via Mobile Device

Your ratio is right on, give them time. Possibly they have had fry but eaten them . Do you have a lot of hiding places so the adults can't get them?

essjay 02-06-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1420144)
Your ratio is right on, give them time. Possibly they have had fry but eaten them . Do you have a lot of hiding places so the adults can't get them?

Hmm, I agree with Marshallsea.. And... I see this as a really good excuse to ask for pics of your tank! 8-)

tankman12 02-06-2013 03:38 PM

none of them have been preg yet.

marshallsea 02-06-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankman12 (Post 1421386)
none of them have been preg yet.

Do your males chase the females?

tankman12 02-06-2013 08:16 PM

the sunset male chasses the the other sunset and the dawns.

dbabyg 02-08-2013 01:41 AM

Agree with previous post. Given time, your fish should begin breeding. Enjoy your fish, learn more about the fish conditions i.e. water, ph, hardness,temperature, etc. Feed well (small feedings), provide plants, some floating like Hornworth for the babies to hide. Live Bearing fish i.e. guppies, platy, swordtail, etc. produce live baby fry frequently and they will/can eat the new born fry. The mother fish will drop the babies when she is ready. I have seen fish hold longer and other times when they produce more rapidly with the warmer weather and sunlight. Enjoy!

42572 02-11-2013 02:34 PM

Even if they don't look pregnant, sometimes they are, I breed all kinds of livebearers so trust me this can be the case

encountr 02-18-2013 04:24 PM

Just got my first tank ever.
Got a few platy to live it up a bit and first thing i know, i have 6fry that will most probably mature as they manage to gain enough volume to not be eaten by bigger fish...
I did not take care of the fry more then the other fish, they have been eating same flakes as the others and and were sharing same ground...
I have a few plants and hiding spots though.

To top it off, i have another pregnant platy...

Just saying, keep it up, they will get fry and eventually with abit of luck and hiding place, you will have big and healthy baby ;-)

Han15 04-13-2013 11:04 PM

I have a platy that I am pretty sure is pregnant and would love a second opinion on whether she is or not, she has a round dark spot on the back of her near her tail

Sent from Petguide.com Free App