Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   HELP!! I've inherited a 75 gal tank FULL of convicts (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/help-ive-inherited-75-gal-tank-127773/)

Nikikim 02-03-2013 11:40 PM

HELP!! I've inherited a 75 gal tank FULL of convicts

My gramma just passed away and I am taking her big tank. I know nothing about fish keeping but Im trying to learn. I will be moving the tank to my house in the coming weeks but the more I read the more conflicting info I get on how to properly move the fish. Some people say I should save as much water as possible, others say don't. The tank has been very neglected. I think my gramps over feeds them because there is so much brown junk settled all over the floor, rocks, plants etc. The tank is a mess. I bought a gravel vacuum and have been siphoning the crap out of the gravel and trying to do 30% water changes once a week or so, as well as cleaning the filters weekly. Anyways, I'm overwhelmed and I have few questions regarding the move.....
1. How many convicts is too many convicts in a 75 gallon tank? There is probably 20+ in there all different sizes ranging from 1cm-6 inches, as well as one large Green Terror, med size Jack Dempsey and 2 new small plecos.
2. Can I put all the fish together in a tote or two to move them? Or do I have to bag them individually?
3. Can I clean all the decorations/gravel and re-set up the tank clean and new? Or should I move it all dirty and gunky to save the bacteria etc.
4. Do I have to save as much water as possible? Or can I put them in fresh dechlorinated water?

Another thing I should mention is that there are 5 pairs of breeding convicts right now, all with fry.... Im a little worried about the move... I expect the fry will not survive but i worry the parents will go ballistic when I move them.

Nikikim 02-04-2013 09:19 AM

Hmm, I thought this was a place to come to get some helpful advice from people... No one has any suggestions for me??

Romad 02-04-2013 09:50 AM

Yikes :shock: That is awesome and scary at the same time. Continue to do what you're doing with water changes. Just don't do any really large water changes - better to get the tank clean slowly so you don't shock the fish.

Do you have a good water test kit?

And are you planning on keeping the existing filters? Can you tell us how many filters are running and what type they are?

And when you say cleaning the filters, are you just swishing the cartridges in the tank water that you remove?

In the meantime, take as many pics as you can of the current stock, count them and try to identify as many as possible. Post as many as you can here so members can get an idea of how to help you out.

Also, see if any local fish stores would be willing to take some of the stock off of your hands when the time comes. It sounds like you'll probably be better off rehoming some of the fish but we need to know numbers and types first.

It will be a lot of work for you but worth it in the long run.

Nikikim 02-08-2013 09:15 AM

Well I spoke with a the owner of local company called "the fish guys"... they move and maintain aquariums all over the Vancouver Island since 1993. The owner said for $100, he will take down, move, clean and set up my tank for me, as long as there is an extra body to help lift stuff. So all the anxiety I had about moving them is gone now! My anxiety has now been replaced with intense anticipation.... I can't wait for them to get here.

Romad 02-08-2013 10:14 AM

Wow! That's great news and a sweet price. :thumbsup:

Will they take some of those fish off of your hands too? I hope you'll post pics. when it's all set up.

Nikikim 02-09-2013 10:39 AM

How do I post pics??

tropical1LakeMonster 02-12-2013 11:33 PM

take ur pics and load them onto the computer and either resize them in paint shop to 600 pixels or the site should auto resize them when you upload the pics

add attachment to ur post select potos from ur computer and click upload when you are done chosing the images

rexpepper651 02-13-2013 12:41 AM

thats so awesome! id looiveee to get a 75g with fish for free! moving and setting up for 100? thsts a fantastic deal! good luck! so i have no useful info lol :lol:

sparkyjoe 02-13-2013 03:40 AM

First let me say that I'm sorry for your loss.

Next, I know very little about how to help you in your mouse, but it sounds like you've found someone local to help for a great price. I would gladly pay that price for help if I had a large tank.

Good luck!

Nikikim 02-13-2013 09:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I will be getting the tank moved over on Saturday, here are a few of the pics that I quickly snapped on my phone. One is of the full set up, the others are of some fish, one a mama and her eggs! Attachment 76873

Attachment 76874

Attachment 76875