Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   My Cichlid Tank Setup (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/my-cichlid-tank-setup-127697/)

austinspeer810 02-03-2013 12:01 PM

My Cichlid Tank Setup

7 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone!!!

I thought that I should post an update on my cichlid tank. I am LOVING these guys!!! They are awesome and a lot of fun as well. My current tank has the following setup:

37 Gallon Tank (Yes it may seem small but I will upgrade it over the summer)
Dual Filtration System (One Tetra EX 45 and an Aqueon Quietflow 20)
Marineland 150 Watt Submersible Heater
Brown Gravel
Four Cichlid Stones (Two Large, Two Small)
Three natural rocks with holes
Four Pieces of Slate
One Pleco
Two OB Peacock
Two Electric Yellows
Two Electric Blue Johannis
Two Acei Cichlids
Two Kenyi Cichlids
Two Zebra Cichlids
Two Red Zebras (I believe that is the name)

AndrewM21 02-03-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinspeer810 (Post 1417304)
Hello everyone!!!

I thought that I should post an update on my cichlid tank. I am LOVING these guys!!! They are awesome and a lot of fun as well. My current tank has the following setup:

37 Gallon Tank (Yes it may seem small but I will upgrade it over the summer)
Dual Filtration System (One Tetra EX 45 and an Aqueon Quietflow 20)
Marineland 150 Watt Submersible Heater
Brown Gravel
Four Cichlid Stones (Two Large, Two Small)
Three natural rocks with holes
Four Pieces of Slate
One Pleco
Two OB Peacock
Two Electric Yellows
Two Electric Blue Johannis
Two Acei Cichlids
Two Kenyi Cichlids
Two Zebra Cichlids
Two Red Zebras (I believe that is the name)

What size aquarium do you intend to get? Kenyis are very territorial and aggressive, as well as Blue Johannis. One male kenyi can claim your entire tank (37G) and call it home and potentially kill your entire population.

While it is recommended to "overstock" an aggressive cichlid tank to a degree so that it spreads aggression between a large group rather than a single fish, but, you also have to give them adequate room for growth as well as room to thrive. Without giving them proper living standards, you will be looking at serious aggression issues in the near future.

austinspeer810 02-03-2013 07:53 PM

I plan on getting a 55 gallon tank at least. My local petsmart has some 60 and 65 gallon tanks that look nice. I just don't have the funds at the moment or the room in my bedroom for a bigger tank right now. I am going to clear out the guest room and put my new tank in there. Plus I want to use my 37 gallon tank for my severum and possibly get an Oscar but I may just keep my 37 gallon tank for my severum
Posted via Mobile Device

Tazman 02-04-2013 08:15 PM

You need a 75g minimum for an Oscar, they will be severely stunted in any tank smaller.

I would look at a 75g tank over a 60 or 65g, those tanks you might as well treat them as a 66g they offer nothing different. There is a lot of fish there so I would recommend looking at the 75g.