Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   The janitors (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/janitors-1276/)

Tracy 11-08-2006 09:34 PM

The janitors

Ralph, my African Elephant Nose, has lived alone in his 25 gallon tank for three months now. He's about 7 inches in length and doing very well. :) I was concerned about the possibility of uneaten food in there and was also getting some algae build up. A few days ago I bought 2 cories, a large black mystery snail and a small common plec. The tank is spotless ! Just wanted to share about this amazing clean-up crew :D

jinithith2 11-08-2006 09:56 PM

good to hear!!! yes my bottomfeeders were always excellent at cleaning :D

bettababy 11-08-2006 11:10 PM

Thats great Tracy, so long as you realize that by adding that cleanup crew means you'll need to upgrade the size of the tank sooner. How big are you planning to go? Common pleco tops out at 18 inches, and elephant nose tops out at about 13 - 14 inches. I'd suggest over 100 gallons.

JouteiMike 11-08-2006 11:15 PM

My two Weather Loaches keep the waste in check. Glad to hear about your clean up crew. I second what Bettababy said. I hope you're thinking about getting a bigger tank in the future, or splitting them up into multiple ones. Good luck with everything.

Tracy 11-09-2006 12:33 AM

Thank you for the advice. I didn't realize that my African Elephant Nose will get so large, as no one else on this site seems to own one. I do know that the plecs get huge. However, it doesn't happen overnight. (the plec in my 46 gallon is 18 months old and still only about five inches). My daughter's boyfriend has a tank which is 80 - 100 gallons , and not in use, and he said i could have it! With this being such an addictive (and very rewarding) hobby, I do think of what is in the best interest for my fish and hope to be acquiring larger tanks in the new year. :)

Gump 11-09-2006 12:48 AM

Ive actually been debaiting on if i should get an elephant. I figured they were good bottom cleaners but the way yous sounds isnt the case. The reason i didnt get any was because i already have the A-team of a clean up crew for my tank. 6 geophagus, 5 syno cats, 5 clown loaches, and lung (the biggest cleaner/mess maker)

Also arnt elephants fish that should be kept in pairs/trios?

bettababy 11-09-2006 01:17 AM

Elephant nose are cool fish, but don't keep them together with others of their own kind, they can get quite aggressive towards each other, and very territorial. Kept with other PEACEFUL fish, they tend to do well. They are not the easiest fish to keep, very sensitive to water quality and "bully fish". They are also a difficult feeder, and I'm glad to hear that this one appears to feed quite well. They stress easily, and they like warmer temperatures.
If planning to mix with angelfish, be sure the angels don't pick on it or harass it, as they don't last long once picked on and angels can be quite aggressive as they mature. The elephant fish also like the softer water that discus need, so that is a good choice in mixture. If you can keep discus thriving, then elephant fish shouldn't be much more difficult, once they begin to feed.
They are not a fish I would suggest to a beginner, and for sure not without doing some research before taking one home.

Tracy 11-09-2006 01:30 AM

Thank you Dawn :) . There are no angels in Ralph's tank -- he is alone with just the two little cory's and the small plec. I removed the snail this evening and put it in a smaller tank, as it did not seem to be eating anymore in there. There were 2 gourami's in his tank, but he hated them -- would 'shove' them out of the way when feeding, so I removed them. He's a very cool fish and seems to be doing okay. Will move him to a longer tank when i get the opportunity. thanks again!

Tracy 11-09-2006 01:32 AM

Gump -- just read your message. If you want an African Elephant Nose, just keep one, or more than 3, as they will bully the others of their kind, as Dawn said. They are quite a large fish and need a lot of room.

bettababy 11-09-2006 01:50 AM

How big was he when you got him? I've always loved those guys, just never had the right environment set up to keep one. That will come after we find a house. This thread makes me think of a day at work, I came in and saw a strange new critter in one of our tanks. I went to the boss's office, took him by the arm and said "you ordered something new and didn't tell me, teach me, now!" and dragged him to the tank. By the time we got over there I think he figured I had flipped out sometime during the night. I told him, I can't sell it if I don't know it, so he taught me. We had a similar experience when I first saw an elephant nose fish... good memories, thanks for bringing them back!