Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Hydras and lots if them! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/hydras-lots-if-them-127555/)

Boredomb 02-01-2013 06:57 PM

Hydras and lots if them!

How on earth do you get rid of them?!?!
Is there a reason to have them?!?
I have them in my 10 gallon tank that houses Scarlet Badis. Will the Hydras be a problem?? I plan on putting Cherry red shrimp in this tank in the spring or summer also. I have read that Hydras can be a problem for baby shrimp.
Any advice on what course of action to take here?!?!
Posted via Mobile Device

thekoimaiden 02-01-2013 07:41 PM

I would think the hydras would be food for the badis, but I could be wrong. Maybe that is what they were surviving on when you first brought them home.

From what I've heard hydra are a harm to shrimp, so that might be a problem with your future shrimp population. This is what Planet Invert has to say about them. Honestly didn't seem that helpful, but it's something.

Boredomb 02-01-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1415570)
I would think the hydras would be food for the badis, but I could be wrong. Maybe that is what they were surviving on when you first brought them home.

From what I've heard hydra are a harm to shrimp, so that might be a problem with your future shrimp population. This is what Planet Invert has to say about them. Honestly didn't seem that helpful, but it's something.

Well I think I will try and net some of them and then maybe try and suck some of them out with a siphon.
I have no clue where they came from. I know they can hitchhike on plants but I haven't added any new plants to the tank since the Java moss and Hornwort.
So I have no clue where they came front??

I haven't seen them until today and its like they exploded! The ones I can see are in the front of the tank and I counted like 5! To me thats one too many!
Posted via Mobile Device

thekoimaiden 02-01-2013 08:19 PM

Did they come on the live food? Maybe they were just always there and have only gotten enough food to explode recently?

Man, now I'm worried about them...

Boredomb 02-01-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1415711)
Did they come on the live food? Maybe they were just always there and have only gotten enough food to explode recently?

Man, now I'm worried about them...

Well no just plants. They are like any other invertebrate they can hide on the plants.
I just don't know where they cam from or how long they have been there. I wonder if I put my Apple snails back in there if they would take care if them as they seemed to eat my other bladder snails. LoL

The lights are off now soo I will wait till tomorrow and try netting and siphoning the ones I can see out. I had them once in my 55 gallon too but shortly after they showed up they disappeared again. They must have ran out off food would be my guess.

Boredomb 02-02-2013 03:07 PM

So looking into my tank today and a lot of them were going. So either my Scarlet Badis are eating them or they are moving around my tank in which case I won't be able to find them again.

redchigh 02-02-2013 03:17 PM

hydras can't move, and look like tiny anemones. Removing them will make them multiply, since pieces of them that break off in the process can regrow.

try not feeding the tank for a few days to motivate the fish to eat them.

if that doesnt work, I'm pretty sure the only sure-fire way to get rid of them is with chemicals. Rid-a-snail is copper based and should be toxic to all inverts. Just remove your snails and inverts you like, remove all your driftwood and dry it out, then dose the tank. Just do lots of waterchanges to remove the medication before you reintroduce inverts.

Boredomb 02-02-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 1416457)
hydras can't move, and look like tiny anemones. Removing them will make them multiply, since pieces of them that break off in the process can regrow.

try not feeding the tank for a few days to motivate the fish to eat them.

if that doesnt work, I'm pretty sure the only sure-fire way to get rid of them is with chemicals. Rid-a-snail is copper based and should be toxic to all inverts. Just remove your snails and inverts you like, remove all your driftwood and dry it out, then dose the tank. Just do lots of waterchanges to remove the medication before you reintroduce inverts.

Are you sure they can't move? I thought I had read where the "can" ?? Of coarse they probably just float in the current and then attach themselves to stuff.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6620ce74.jpg

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...psef22526e.jpg

These are what I am calling Hydras just so we are on the same page (These are hydras right?).
What about using fenbendazole?? I have heard of ppl using this to kill them. My problem is I have tons of MTS in this tank and I don't think I can get all of them out. I am guessing any thing strong enough to kill Hydras will also kill the snails??

ao 02-03-2013 12:01 PM

I've seen my hydras move... they eventually died of starvation, but that hardly seems possible in a 10 gallon...