Tropical Fish Keeping banner

pool filter sand question

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  rexpepper651 
#1 ·
so i decided to use sand in my latest setup. I had my husband pick it up and when he came home i see what looks like gravel, not sand. its labeled as "aquaquartz". he went to a pool supply and specifically asked for pool filter sand, is this what its supposed to look like? i was really expecting, well, sand.
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
#4 ·
Well, we took that stuff back and I went to Home Depot and got some "all purpose" sand (they had no PFS in stock, have checked info on the manufacturer's website and read several posts by people who have used this specific product in aquariums, feel safe using it) and then found another hardware store that had PFS on the way home which was finer than the first stuff. I ended up buying some of each and I'm going to try it out today to see which I like the best, or maybe mix the two.
So, looks like sandwashing for me today - I can't wait!

#6 ·
Yes - and is so much fun in below freezing temperatures :lol: I *could* have done it inside, but didn't want to put unneccessary amounts of water into the septic system and wasn't fond of the idea of the sand that washed out ending up stuck in our pipes, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.