Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking my new 65 Gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-my-new-65-gallon-127497/)

AndrewM21 02-01-2013 03:49 AM

Stocking my new 65 Gallon

Hey Folks,

I just recently acquired a new 65G aquarium (48Lx13W) and I am looking for something `new` to do with it. Currently I have it housing a few juvi peacocks that were getting a little to large for the fry aquarium, but I have adequate space for them elsewhere when I find out what I'm going to do with the aquarium.

I don't want just your 'standard' community aquarium (tetras, loaches, etc). I want something that's interesting. I've been scratching my head lately and I've considered Discus, and I haven't entirely ruled them out yet, but I am keeping my options open for right now.

Give me your ideas!

JDM 02-01-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewM21 (Post 1414789)
Hey Folks,

I just recently acquired a new 65G aquarium (48Lx13W) and I am looking for something `new` to do with it. Currently I have it housing a few juvi peacocks that were getting a little to large for the fry aquarium, but I have adequate space for them elsewhere when I find out what I'm going to do with the aquarium.

I don't want just your 'standard' community aquarium (tetras, loaches, etc). I want something that's interesting. I've been scratching my head lately and I've considered Discus, and I haven't entirely ruled them out yet, but I am keeping my options open for right now.

Give me your ideas!

Discus ....EVERYONE does discus... right.

It depends on what you might consider interesting. Different colour, behaviour, unusual look, unusual maintenance and care....?

How about a figure 8 puffer tank? With the right tank layout you could put 4 or 5 in that tank... maybe just 4. Definitely more interesting and entertaining than a discus tank. Less work with the water I suspect (brackish) but high maintenance on the diet side of things.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to do puffers even if it were my 9th tank, but they are cool.

Jeff.

Byron 02-01-2013 11:22 AM

No mention is made of your water parameters. If these are on the medium hard side (as one would expect for rift lake cichlids already there), rainbow fish are colourful. [You are removing the peacock cichlids, I know, so we are not talking combinations here.] A couple species are in our profiles but there are others; the medium-sized would be nice, a group of whichever.

If you have soft water, many other possibilities open up.

AndrewM21 02-01-2013 12:44 PM

Derp, sorry guys. I know my original post was vague. I posted it @ almost 5 in the morning ;-)

My water is rather "moderate" Byron.

Anywho, I appreciate the responses thus far but I decided what I'm going to do with it already. I went to a rock company today and picked up about 75lbs of rock & slate for $25 (great deal), and I'm just going to turn it into a Mbuna tank. I'll probably start off with some Kenyis and Cobalts.

My 50 Gallon will be coming open soon when I move all my peacocks to their 120 this month and if you want to make suggestions for that aquarium, please do :-D

boxercrazy156 02-02-2013 12:16 PM

I have a rainbow tank and love it the parkinsons grow 6 inches, bosemani look nice I have iranian reds also