Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   What is this Snail & How can I grow enough algae to feed him? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/what-snail-how-can-i-grow-127314/)

SnailShellBoatman 01-29-2013 10:53 PM

What is this Snail & How can I grow enough algae to feed him?

2 Attachment(s)
I bought this snail with two others a couple of months ago.

1st: Can anyone ID the species? I'm new to snails.

2nd: Is there anyway I can grow enought algae to feed him and my pleco (the other two snails died. I'm afraid it might
have been lack of algae to eat)? I feed them wafers, but I'd like to give them a steady amount of the pure stuff too.
Any advice in this area?

djembekah 01-29-2013 11:42 PM

he looks like a mystery or apple snail of some kind

and i'd honestly supplement with fresh vegetables, rather than hope algae would grow. Plecos need more than just algae, for sure. some even need some meaty things. You can try adding more light though, possibly.

yyankeeyankeefan 01-30-2013 12:58 AM

that is an apple snail. i love them, they are fantastic little buggers but they do LOVE to eat floating plants such as water sprite, or duckweed..ect. so that is another way to supplement. if you want you can just throw down an algae wafer. they also would enjoy a piece of romaine floating in your tank. mine are always the first all over the broccoli when i give it to my otos. i don't really notice my apple snails doing any major algae cleaning to be honest. mine much prefer floating plants and they seem to eat that when they want. so i think they only eat algae if there is nothing else and have to.

SnailShellBoatman 01-30-2013 11:19 AM

That's good to know. I don't have any romaine, duckweed, or sprite at the moment. Would spinach and lettuce leaves work?

And as to the pleco needing more than algae, what else should I feed it, specifically in regard to "meaty things."

ZivaD 01-30-2013 11:28 AM

What type of pleco is it you have?

yyankeeyankeefan 01-30-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnailShellBoatman (Post 1412484)
That's good to know. I don't have any romaine, duckweed, or sprite at the moment. Would spinach and lettuce leaves work?

And as to the pleco needing more than algae, what else should I feed it, specifically in regard to "meaty things."

spinach works well, iceberg is very lack in anything nutritious so it's kind of pointless to give it as real food.... sinking shrimp pellets would work for "meaty things"

ZivaD 01-30-2013 12:47 PM

The favorite veggies in our tanks are zuchinni, other squash, peas, spinach leaves, etc. Frozen "meaty" foods such as brine shrimp, bloodworms, etc are pretty readily eaten (just feed after lights out to lessen the other fish getting it before it can sink and be found - or feed while other fish are distracted with their own feeding).

emeraldsky 01-31-2013 06:23 PM

He actually looks like a Japanese trap door snail to me, I dont think apples have the stripes on their shells like that

Although I could be totally wrong on the stripes XD

Invertebrates for Freshwater Aquariums & Ponds: Japanese Trapdoor Snail (Pond)

Anyways, care shouldnt be that different regardless.

Silverfang 01-31-2013 06:57 PM

Apples can and do have stripes. All of mine do. If anything it looks like you have a DSP (dark striped purple).

I see lots of erosion and pitting on the spiral. I'd recommend high calcium foods, broccoli, blanched zucchini, spinach, any of the leafy greens really.

I have a bunch, and they motor when I put in some blanched zucchini for them to devour. Give them the option, they'll take fresh/blanched veggies. Unlike shrimp who I find prefer the algae wafers.

Sylverclaws 02-02-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yyankeeyankeefan (Post 1412178)
that is an apple snail. i love them, they are fantastic little buggers but they do LOVE to eat floating plants such as water sprite, or duckweed..ect. so that is another way to supplement.

Ah, so THAT is what happened to my duckweed! =o I was told they left all plants alone unless they were dead! T_T

I'm also having issues with mine getting damaged shells, so thanks for that info as well, Silverfang! Seems you guys helped more than one person out. xD Will it heal up? I thought something else was going on with mine. x.x

Anywho, I have a snail that is identical to that one, it was labeled as a mystery snail, smaller version of the apple snails. They love all kinds of foods, not just algae. They wont be as healthy with just algae. You could get some algae wafers, they'll flock to it if they're good and hungry, but they still need more than that, Plecos and cories do as well, common misconception that they only eat algae, they can actually get stunted and get digestive problems if only feed that. Mine like to snack on brine shrimp when I put it in for my fish, and plant-matter. I feed my fish the Emerald Entree quite often, it's got proteins and veggies, and my snails usually flock to it as well.