Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Corydoras Problem (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/corydoras-problem-127267/)

Athur 01-29-2013 04:33 PM

Corydoras Problem

I'm new to fish keeping so please forgive me if some of my questions have obvious answers. I have a cycled twenty gallon tank stocked with three assorted cories (Schwartz, emerald, and an unknown) and six danios. I started of with three emeralds. two of them died for unknown reasons and were replaced with the Schwartz and the unknown. The lone emerald hides most of the time so I don't see him very often but when I caught I glimpse of him recetnly I noticed that his whiskers were gone!:blink: I don't know how this happened. The substrate is not abrasive and I feed him Omega One shrimp pellets supplemented with fallen fish flakes. I was thinking that it might have something to do with fungus? All advice and help is welcome.

Kuddos 2 U 01-29-2013 04:48 PM

It could be because of a number of causes, such as poor nutrition, Bacterial infection, or maybe even some nipping going on. In my advice, I would put it somewhere else and nurse it back to health, either in a breeder net or in a quarantine.

Athur 01-29-2013 05:21 PM

I don't have a quarantine tank or a breeder net. What is a breeder net?

Thoth 01-29-2013 09:49 PM

A breeder net is a net that sits in the tank that is used to separate fish inside a tank.

Cories are susceptible to nitrogen waste and this is one of the main causes of the barbels to be damaged. You should test your water for ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate. If you dont have test kits, you should do 50% water changes every week for a couple months and cut back on feeding. Personally, I think sand is the only substrate they should be kept in as the sift through the sand. I have had barbel damage even with rounded gravel.

Cories can be very timid if they are not with similar patterned Cories. It take around 5 for them to be comfortable.

If you would like to post a pic of the third cory, I can ID it for you.

marshallsea 01-29-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athur (Post 1411400)
I'm new to fish keeping so please forgive me if some of my questions have obvious answers. I have a cycled twenty gallon tank stocked with three assorted cories (Schwartz, emerald, and an unknown) and six danios. I started of with three emeralds. two of them died for unknown reasons and were replaced with the Schwartz and the unknown. The lone emerald hides most of the time so I don't see him very often but when I caught I glimpse of him recetnly I noticed that his whiskers were gone!:blink: I don't know how this happened. The substrate is not abrasive and I feed him Omega One shrimp pellets supplemented with fallen fish flakes. I was thinking that it might have something to do with fungus? All advice and help is welcome.

How long has your tank been running? It may not be cycled, it can take 2 months to cycle.

Athur 01-30-2013 07:43 AM

It has been running since early September. I'll do a water test when I get back from school. I have the Mater Test Kit with the liquid bottles. Thanks for all your help.

Athur 01-30-2013 03:46 PM

The Ammonia was 0 or very very little. (Hard to tell between yellow and light green) The nitrite was 0.

Thoth 01-30-2013 04:51 PM

Ammonia and nitrite are great for determining if the tank is established. Do you have a nitrate test? Nitrate tests can be used to see how we'll the tank has been cleaned.

Athur 01-30-2013 08:00 PM

I recently did a nitrate test and it read .5 ppm.

fairghum 01-31-2013 09:37 PM

I am fascinated by the concept of a "breeder net". I have always heard that cories have to be handled very carefully when using nets. Are they really okay in these "nets"? I have always used those hard plastic breeder boxes for injured or dying fish, but the net seems like a much better idea. Can you tell us more?