Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   community to cichilds (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/community-cichilds-127238/)

asdute 01-29-2013 01:07 PM

community to cichilds

Hi guys need some advise can I go straight from community( guppies, mollies, gouramis) tank to cichilds tank all those fish will be gone before adding cichilds. adding some rocks as well.
thanks

AndrewM21 01-29-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdute (Post 1411034)
Hi guys need some advise can I go straight from community( guppies, mollies, gouramis) tank to cichilds tank all those fish will be gone before adding cichilds. adding some rocks as well.
thanks

What size is the aquarium? What species of cichlids are you wanting to keep? What are you current water parameters? (PH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite).

asdute 01-29-2013 02:49 PM

it's 4ft 300litres ph7 ammonia 0.8
Posted via Mobile Device

AndrewM21 01-29-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdute (Post 1411153)
it's 4ft 300litres ph7 ammonia 0.8
Posted via Mobile Device

Tank is plenty large enough for cichlids, what do you intend to keep though? For cichlids it is best to have a pH of around 7.8~8.0. I keep mine in 7.8. Your ammonia should be 0.00 PPM though.

What are you nitrite and nitrates? How long has this aquarium been running?

asdute 01-29-2013 04:35 PM

aulonocara baenschi benga to start with. aquarium has been running for 6 month but I have done 100% water change week ago as I was changing from sand to gravel. Nitrates 22.

asdute 01-29-2013 05:19 PM

nitrates 22 nitrite 0

asdute 01-30-2013 05:57 AM

another thing can i mix it for now couple days tops with my fish as cichilds I'm getting is juveniles 1-2 inch? thanks

AndrewM21 01-30-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdute (Post 1412251)
another thing can i mix it for now couple days tops with my fish as cichilds I'm getting is juveniles 1-2 inch? thanks

Are you doing regular water changes to remove the nitrates from the aquarium?

I also wouldn't add anything to the aquarium right now until you get your ammonia down to 0.00. Any hint of ammonia can harm a fish permanently.

asdute 01-30-2013 12:18 PM

yes I'm changing 25% every other day. before changing to gravel was doing once a week. thanks I won't be adding any fish until is back to normal . what else would you suggest as tank mates for the ones I already chose.
thanks

AndrewM21 02-01-2013 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdute (Post 1412479)
yes I'm changing 25% every other day. before changing to gravel was doing once a week. thanks I won't be adding any fish until is back to normal . what else would you suggest as tank mates for the ones I already chose.
thanks

The sunshine is a beautiful peacock (I actually have one myself). Here are a few that I can recommend.

German Red Peacock
Blue Peacock (Aulonocara nyassae) (I have one, the males are beautiful)
Yellow Labs (Labidochromis caeruleus) (Have these too, great addition)
VC-10 (Placidichromis Milomo) Not a peacock, but has the same mind set and not aggressive towards peacocks, I also have one of these.
Ruby Red Peacock (Aulonocara Sp. Rubescens)

These are just a few that can be kept with the ones you mentioned, there are many more.

A usual rule of thumb is not to take the advice of your fish store when you go to purchase your fish, as they are there to sell you fish, not for the well being of the fish they sell to you. Always do your research and have fun with the hobby.