Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Pregnant or not? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/pregnant-not-127161/)

email4stouder 01-28-2013 03:08 PM

Pregnant or not?

1 Attachment(s)
Just trying to figure out if my platy is pregnant?

ZivaD 01-28-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by email4stouder (Post 1409729)
Just trying to figure out if my platy is pregnant?

Yes, this fish is pregnant

SeaHorse 01-28-2013 05:44 PM

As she gets closer to dropping her fry she will almost get square in the front. They often drop their fry in the early morning hours so look each morning. It is a personal opinion to use a box like that.... I don't use them myself and prefer a 10 gallon tank for Mom alone. Once she drops I move her back to the main tank and the babies are safe that way. In small confines of a birthing tank she can still eat her fry. Not to worry, 28-ish days from now there will be another batch!! Good luck and keep us posted.

email4stouder 02-03-2013 09:12 AM

If you put her in a 10 gallon tank what keeps her from eating the babies. I figured with grate in the bottom of the breeder that would keep her from eating them. I have 1 baby in my big tank that has survived for several months now. I was just trying to get a few more.

ZivaD 02-03-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by email4stouder (Post 1417175)
If you put her in a 10 gallon tank what keeps her from eating the babies. I figured with grate in the bottom of the breeder that would keep her from eating them. I have 1 baby in my big tank that has survived for several months now. I was just trying to get a few more.

Use of plenty of hiding areas for the fry (ie plants, spawning grass, etc) provide a better setting for both mother and fry. Because this fish does not appear all that close to dropping her fry, she may be confined in this small breeding box for days/weeks from now - which, in itself, can be very stressful for her.
You can actually allow for fry to be born directly into your community tank and have a good survival rate by providing good cover for fry in the community tank. We don't use a brooding/rearing tank and still become overpopulated a few times a year due to the survival rate of fry in our community tank.

email4stouder 02-10-2013 12:27 PM

took momma out of the breeder cage and put her in a tank by herself. Got lots of plants on bottom for fry to hide in. She has been by herself for almost 2 weeks now and still no babies.

SeaHorse 02-10-2013 09:22 PM

Is she square in the front? Sometimes is takes a long while... they "hold". Not sure how or why...I imagine it is stress related. She is in the best place possible.
Now one night this week, do a 1/3 to 1/2 water change with de-chlor and make the temperature 1 to 2 degrees LOWER than your regular temperature. No more. It is like a cleansing rain in nature and look for fry in the morning.
I found about 8 fry this morning in my 75 gallon. Man they are tricky to catch in a tank that size.

Keep us posted!! and Good Luck.