Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   should i add more to my 29? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/should-i-add-more-my-29-a-127150/)

calfishguy 01-28-2013 01:14 PM

should i add more to my 29?

My 29 currently has 2 angels and an albino brisltenose pleco. Should I add anything else. I was thinking of adding some pseudomugil paskai, a small 1,5 inch rainbowfish. Any ideas???

Kuddos 2 U 01-28-2013 01:26 PM

You should be able to add them if your aquarium is clean and that they are not aggressive.

Byron 01-28-2013 01:48 PM

This is not a good combination. The Pseudomugil paskai attains up to 35mm (1.30 inches) and being a slender fish (linear or pencil-shape) this is not good with angelfish. As the angelfish mature, they will easily eat linear fish which is why so many of the tetra are not suitable.

I might also wonder about the nippiness of the rainbow when placed in with the sedate angelfish with its long fins. Many otherwise peaceful fish that are small find this too tempting to pass up.

Aside from the above, in a 29g you are at max with the pair of angelfish. When they are at their expected mature size of 6 inches length with fins spanning 8 or more inches, the space will be full.

Byron.

squishylittlefishies 01-28-2013 05:06 PM

get some cories! they are so cute! Lots of people say that tetras like cardinals and rummies are ok with them too, but you might want to do some more research on that.

thekoimaiden 01-28-2013 05:23 PM

Actually a friend of mine has a setup just like that. She only has substrate fish with the angels because they are breeding pair and chased any other fish to the point where some of them died.

The only thing I would recommend would be cories.

Byron 01-28-2013 05:33 PM

Yes, I would go along with corys too. My earlier post was thinking upper level.

calfishguy 01-28-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1410021)
Yes, I would go along with corys too. My earlier post was thinking upper level.

Okay Cory's is it. How many should I get in the 4-6 range perhaps.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 01-28-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calfishguy (Post 1410074)
Okay Cory's is it. How many should I get in the 4-6 range perhaps.
Posted via Mobile Device

No less than five, if a single species. If you want to mix species, no less than 3 of each but 5 is better. You can have 5 to 9/10 in your setup.

JDM 01-28-2013 07:24 PM

If you are only adding this one more species of fish, then I would put as many as you feel your tank will handle, with corys the more the merrier. I went with emerald cats (very similar) and started with 6 in mind, ended up with 9 (at my max now) and I have already seen them patrolling the bottom in one big group quite often, after only two days in the tank.

I haven't done the math, but it looks like Byron has, 9 or 10 would be ideal.

A quick thought regarding hitting the "minimum" recommended number of shoaling fish. Aim for a couple more than minimum so that if you end up with some loss you don't have too few... not that we plan for losses but it happens.

Jeff.

calfishguy 01-28-2013 08:23 PM

Okay thanks. I have never kept cories before so this will definitely be a new and enriching experience.