Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Raising Corydora Fry? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/raising-corydora-fry-127072/)

aemaki09 01-27-2013 05:33 PM

Raising Corydora Fry?

Hey everyone!
I came home to my peppered cories spawning earlier today, and have spent atleast 2 hours today getting their eggs off of my plants and into a .75 critter keeper because I noticed some of my betta sorority girls were eating the eggs. Right now I've got about 105 eggs (give or take a few) floating in the main tank and all thats inside of the critter keeper is a bubbler. Their temperature is at about 79*.

What else should I do to get them to hatch, and to keep them alive after they hatch?
I have micro & banana worm cultures for them, I also have some BBS that I can hatch if necessary. After they get a little larger I have bottom feeder pellets, omega 1 tropical flakes, and can get any other food if its highly recommended.
From what I've been reading Cory fry need about the same care as betta fry at the beginning, does that sound correct?

Also, I just had one of my betta pairs spawn today, would it be okay for me to put the cories and the betta fry in the same grow-out?

Thanks for any information that anyone has. I would like to keep as many alive as possible.
This was a completely accidental spawning. I knew I had 2 males 1 female, but I've had them 6 months and they had never spawned for me before.

Anyone that I dont rehome to friends, family, or people on here or other forums I'm a member of, will be going to the LFS which has expressed great interest in buying any of the fry I end up with of any species I keep, so I dont have to worry too much about re-homing.

Thanks!

Thoth 01-27-2013 07:29 PM

The temp seems a little high. I target 75 or so but if they are breeding in it go with it. anyway...

The eggs take 3 to 5 days to hatch. Remove any eggs that become fuzzy/solid white (usually starts happening after first 24 hours); This prevents it from spreading to other eggs. You can use a fungicide to help prevent egg loss; I have used Maroxy in the past with success, however, fungus is not always a problem. I don't know if you will want to use a fungicide if it is sharing the same water as the tank it is in. I keep my eggs in specimen cups that do not have openings. I clean daily with a turkey baster.

When they hatch, feed them once the egg sac goes away (~36 hours after hatch). Microworms work great as they survive 24+ hours in the water; They really reduce water pollution. I don't see a problem keeping the Betta with the Cory fry. I have been told to use Mardel coppersafe on the fry to reduce bacterial infections but I have never used it. I have a 60% survival rate without the medication. I believe the key is not overfeeding and keeping the water crystal clear. Always think about the size of the fry's stomach when feeding.

aemaki09 01-27-2013 07:44 PM

I can lower the temp if you think they would do better in it. I usually keep it at 80 for my bettas, but could lower it to about 76-77 and it be okay.
I'll go get some Maroxy in the morning. Are there any other things I should pick up?
I'm used to breeding bettas, and have everything prepared for them, but have never thought to prepare for cories, I really didn't think they'd breed for some reason! Oops!
They aren't sharing water, just floating in the same tank, so I'll probably get some copper safe too. Just to be safe.
How often and how soon after they hatch should I feed? I usually feed betta and guppy fry about 4-5 times/day? Is that enough or too much?

Thanks for replying so quickly!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thoth 01-27-2013 08:17 PM

I dont recall the amount I use... I have stopped using it as I am currently mainly breeding C sterbai and their eggs have had no fungus issues. Look at the label and come as close to the listed rate. The idea is to remove the Maroxy completely before the eggs hatch. I do partial water changes each day reducing the concentration and do a very large change early on day 3.

I wouldn't lower the temp now. I would leave it be. If it looks like you are having issues then slowly lower it.

They will have an egg sac that will shrink and after about 36 hours I would put in a small amount of microworms. You will notice they can barely swim with the egg sac. If you use microworms you can feed once a day. Make sure that you clean the bottom of the container to remove the left overs so the dead worms don't pollute.

Dont be disapointed if many of the eggs turn white. I have found that this is common with the first couple of times for a breeding group; They need to learn how to do "it". I just had my C. simils breed for the first time and out of 60 eggs only had 4 hatch and two of these reach 3 weeks.

Good Luck :-P

aemaki09 01-27-2013 08:34 PM

Thanks!

I don't mind if most or all don't hatch, that means more room in my grow-out, but i want to give them the best chance of survival I can.
Posted via Mobile Device