Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Prime... "removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia"??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/prime-removes-chlorine-chloramine-ammonia-127059/)

JDM 01-27-2013 03:35 PM

Prime... "removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia"???

I bought a tiny bottle of Prime yesterday to have in case of spikes... Which I fully expect to see.

I wouldn't be so concerned except I am heading to Florida for two weeks in two weeks and I will be leaving my 14 year old daughter in charge of the fish. She has done water changes alone now, testing, feeding and much watching of the fish, so I am not concerned about regular stuff.

What I am concerned about is the expected nitrite spike that will probably peak two or three days AFTER I leave. I would rather she not have to do large water changes so I've armed her with prime and some instructions on its use and when to use it.

My question.... it states that "Prime removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia". Then it goes on to say that it detoxifies nitrite and nitrate.

I had understood that it only detoxed ammonia the same as nitrite and nitrate, many here have assumed the same thing. I have to assume that the manufacturer's instructions are correct but now I wonder what the chemical reaction is that does this? What are the byproducts? Probably some sort of "proprietary" formula but I think that the main ingredient is likely to be Sodium Thiosulfate which is for treating the Chloramine which releases the ammonia in the process. I can understand that it could render the ammonia into ammonium for a short period but remove it altogether? OK, it canít really remove it, but what does it change it into and is it stable in that form?

Anyone?

Jeff.

Romad 01-27-2013 04:01 PM

My understanding is that it detoxifys it by becoming ammonium but for 24-48 hours or so. The only thing that's going to remove it altogether is a water change.

JDM 01-27-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 1408543)
My understanding is that it detoxifys it by becoming ammonium but for 24-48 hours or so. The only thing that's going to remove it altogether is a water change.

Well, plants and nitrosomas convert it.

Otherwise, that was my understanding too, but that is not what the bottle says... incorrect labelling or misundertood interpretations?

Jeff.

Quantum 01-27-2013 05:33 PM

not sodium thiosulfate

this has been covered in another thread, but here is the main point:

a similar product is apparently sodium hydroxymethanesulfonate, prime is likely the same or similar, it is not ammonia to ammonium, which is pH dependent, but rather the ammonia, nitrate, nitrate are converted to an iminium salt which can be utilized in the biological processes occuring in the tank, but being unstable in aqueous solutions will revert back to ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate if not consumed

JDM 01-27-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum (Post 1408657)
not sodium thiosulfate

this has been covered in another thread, but here is the main point:

a similar product is apparently sodium hydroxymethanesulfonate, prime is likely the same or similar, it is not ammonia to ammonium, which is pH dependent, but rather the ammonia, nitrate, nitrate are converted to an iminium salt which can be utilized in the biological processes occuring in the tank, but being unstable in aqueous solutions will revert back to ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate if not consumed

Iminium salt.... so the plants just take it up directly.

Found it. Thanks. Only one other thread mentions iminium salt.

If anyone else is interested.... http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...e-work-120683/
Jeff.

JDM 01-27-2013 07:09 PM

Well, I think that the instructions could be more accurate. So long as the tank is in good shape, biologically speaking, it doesn't really matter what is happening chemically so I suppose that the instructions suffice.

I hope never to need to use it.

Jeff.

jentralala 01-27-2013 07:26 PM

Off topic, but which part of FL are you visiting?

JDM 01-27-2013 08:03 PM

Fort Pierce area (vero beach) with a side trip to Orlando.

Jeff
Posted via Mobile Device