Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   co2 levals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/co2-levals-12702/)

Busgod 03-08-2008 02:09 PM

co2 levals

What levels should co2 be in fresh water tanks?

Why are they important?

For example :
My 45 gal tank has these values PH 7.5 / Ammonia 0 / Nitrites 0 / Nitrates Off the chart / GH 7 / KH 7 / CO2 7

Do co2 levels effect nitrate levels?

I ask because no matter how many water changes I do OR the percentage of the water I change, My Nitrate Never goes down.

Please Don't freak But I've even done 50% water changes for a week straight with no difference in nitrate levels. vacuumed gravel every time even removed fish and did a 90% water change, still ppm off chart

Yes fish are fine!

Just don't understand why levels never change so confused

stock in tank
1 jack demsey
1 nic
1 ukn
1 godmanni

fish_4_all 03-08-2008 02:25 PM

Have you tested your tap water?

As for CO2 levels, all it will effect is your KH and pH. Need to try and maintain levels from 30-50ppm. Fluctuations can cause worse algae than not using it at all.

Busgod 03-08-2008 03:11 PM

Yes tested tap water

Out of tap ph 7.5 / ammonia 0 / nitrites 0 / nitrates 0 / gh 3-5 / kh 3-4

after 24 hrs ph 6.5 ammonia 0.25 / nitrites 0 / nitrates 0 / gh 3-5 / kh 3-4

after 48 hrs ph 6.5 ammonia 0.50 / nitrites 0 / nitrates 0 / gh 3-5 / kh 3-4

after 72 hrs ph 6.5 ammonia 0.50 / nitrites 0 / nitrates 0 / gh 3-5 / kh 3-4

fish_4_all 03-08-2008 04:20 PM

ok, I don't remember if you have been asked so I have to now. Test strips or liquid test kit? If it is a liquid test kit, shake the living daylights out of both bottles, even harder than anyhting you have done. A good minute of shaking it like a paint shaker.

If it is test strips then the readings could be way off. Best to get a liquid test kit or have the LFS verify your tests.

Other than that I can not explain the high nitrates except for massive amount of fish waste and organic matter in the substrate. If you havemn't, do an extremely thourough gravel vac going as deep as you can and getting as much as you done in every water change.

Busgod 03-08-2008 04:58 PM

I've gone to the extreme of 50% water changes every day for a week with thorough gravel vac each time even went way over board and took fish out and did a 90% w/c even rinsed gravel with water till water was clear. refilled tank with fresh water let cycle without fish for two days tested water again same results levels fine except nitrate.

the only water left in tank before adding new water was in my 405 fluval and a little clear water after rinsing gravel.

I'm totaly flummoxed :(

Busgod 03-09-2008 12:05 AM

what punch in the gut

went out and bought another master test kit and guess what the test for nitrates came out at a different ppm fig

:frustrated:

all that water changing and stress on fish for nothing bad test kit!!!

fish_4_all 03-09-2008 12:31 PM

We live and we learn. Have done the same thing with my GH testing before. Hopefully now we can focus on keeping the fish happy and not erroronious readings. Remember to always shake the living daylights out of both bottles. Forgetting to can lead to erronious information down the road, especially bottle #2. And then make sure to shake the test tube as hard as you can without breaking it.

Somewhere I have seen something that says to always calibrate your test kits. I wish I knew how to but I don't. I need to try and find an explanation on how to do it and then I will post it here. Hopefully that will keep this kind of thing from ever happening again.

Busgod 03-09-2008 11:34 PM

Thanks agian fish_4_all :D