Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Centerpieces? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/centerpieces-126964/)

bubbles1 01-26-2013 06:07 PM

Centerpieces?

hello i have a 20 gallon high with 12 blue silvertip tetras
im looking for some centerpiece to accompany these fish i can decide on what id want as a focus fish.

i was thinking some pair of small cichlids? or gourami or something, could anyone give me suggestion?
i kinda want it a bit aggresive so my tetras are encouraged to school a bit more.

any help? thanks
bubbles

Molinious 01-30-2013 06:02 PM

Im sorry but wanting slightly aggressive fish to make your tetras schoal tighter is a bit daft, it would put unnecessary stress on the tetras. If you want advice for what kind of fish centrepiece then iwould suggest putting up water perameters such as ph gh etc

Nilet699 01-30-2013 06:05 PM

Yeah tbh i mirror the post above. Thats just a plain HORRIBLE idea.....
A lot of tetras school loosely, thats just the way it is. If you want tighter schoolers, change them for something like harlequins that school very tightly.
Putting a bully fish in isnt going to give you your tighter school, just a smaller one as you stress them, and they get ill and die through it.

Byron 01-31-2013 01:03 PM

I completely agree. Deliberating stressing out any fish is not responsible. This weakens the fish's immune system, bringing on health problems, and shortens their lifespan.

ZivaD 01-31-2013 01:35 PM

I think you might want to look at this as a time to decide what type of fish you want to keep - aggressive or peaceful. If you want aggressive fish, re-home your exisiting population and build a tank of aggressive fish. If you want to keep the fish you have, approach this as creating the happiest/healthiest environment you can for them (which would mean not purposefully inflicting stress on them) and enjoying their natural behavior vs. trying to contrive ways to mainupate their behavior to suit what you want to see.

madyotto 01-31-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles1 (Post 1407174)
hello i have a 20 gallon high with 12 blue silvertip tetras
im looking for some centerpiece to accompany these fish i can decide on what id want as a focus fish.

i was thinking some pair of small cichlids? or gourami or something, could anyone give me suggestion?
i kinda want it a bit aggresive so my tetras are encouraged to school a bit more.

any help? thanks
bubbles

i think the above are spot on with there recommendations

however you could consider a pair of kribensis spelling may be wrong

they will not make them skool tighter

nor will they be semi aggressive

but they are very territorial, in my experience i have only know mine to be aggressive with things that live on the floor of the tank like my weather loach do

provide a cave or two and they will even breed laying there eggs on the roof of the cave

look them up and check they are ok to live in your water parameters and see if you like them