Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   My poor lonely neons! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-poor-lonely-neons-126938/)

KellyL 01-26-2013 03:31 PM

My poor lonely neons!

We are now down to 7 neons :( (we started at 12)
Since the last one died the remaining 7 have been gathering together and hovering together mid hight, staring into the glass for hours on end.
I guess they are feeling a bit lonely? and seeing their reflection makes them feel better? - Its the best I could come up with!

Is that what it is? or is it something else? This has only been going on for a week and we are planning on getting more but how many is good? how many before they are happy again? Can I get different color neons to join them or will they need to be the same? If I get some the same and some different color ones will they join together in a big group or will it be gang warfare in there?

Thank you guys! :)

Molinious 01-26-2013 03:43 PM

Im not an expert on Neons but im sure others here are, but i can talk from experience. I have a shoal of 35 neons in a 48 x 15 x 12 and they love it! The electric blue stripe glows and the red is so vibrant, There always together, dancing around the plants

squishylittlefishies 01-26-2013 04:12 PM

Is this tank newly set up, or an established aquarium? If it is newer, you could be having ammonia and nitrate problems which would kill off fish, and create stressed behavioR(swimming in a very tight group) and decreased activity. Please test your water and let us know what the parameters are.
Are we talking about neon tetras? As far as I am aware, there is only one color of neon tetra- blue stripe with red underneath. If there are other colors, they area different species of tetra, and no, they will not school together.
Hope that helps some!

Molinious 01-26-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squishylittlefishies (Post 1406980)
Is this tank newly set up, or an established aquarium? If it is newer, you could be having ammonia and nitrate problems which would kill off fish, and create stressed behavioR(swimming in a very tight group) and decreased activity. Please test your water and let us know what the parameters are.
Are we talking about neon tetras? As far as I am aware, there is only one color of neon tetra- blue stripe with red underneath. If there are other colors, they area different species of tetra, and no, they will not school together.
Hope that helps some!

Dont forget theres the black neon tetra l Black Neon Tetra | Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, this one
http://www.aquariumdomain.com/viewSp...ter.php?id=197

:BIGangel:

KellyL 01-26-2013 04:38 PM

Ye its an established tank. Ammonia was ok last time I checked its gravelvac/water change day tomorrow but I'll check now, all the other fish are ok in there. I'm sure I've seen orange and green neon tetra? maybe the store just called them something made up!!

Molinious 01-26-2013 04:40 PM

I think there are a few genetic mutations on the breed, specifically for the different colors, i wouldnt quote me on that tho haha

KellyL 01-26-2013 05:10 PM

ok here we go, Ammonia is at 0, nitrate is 0, nitrate is 0.

I think they might be just missing their friends! :(

JDM 01-26-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellyL (Post 1406894)
We are now down to 7 neons :( (we started at 12)
Since the last one died the remaining 7 have been gathering together and hovering together mid hight, staring into the glass for hours on end.
I guess they are feeling a bit lonely? and seeing their reflection makes them feel better? - Its the best I could come up with!

Is that what it is? or is it something else? This has only been going on for a week and we are planning on getting more but how many is good? how many before they are happy again? Can I get different color neons to join them or will they need to be the same? If I get some the same and some different color ones will they join together in a big group or will it be gang warfare in there?

Thank you guys! :)

I would be more concerned about what is killing them before adding more fish. Losing 5 of 12 is a considerable number, particularly if it is over a short time frame... of course if it is old age, that is another matter altogether. What were the symptoms, water parameters (hardness pH, and temperature)?

I haven't looked at tetras at all so I really am not familiar with their tendencies when it comes to mixing and matching different variations.

Jeff.

Ogre44 01-26-2013 09:32 PM

Green or black neon tetras are not true Neon Tetras.
Their common names are similar, and looking at their scientific names the Greens are more closely related than the blacks, but they are not color morphs of true Neons.

KellyL 01-27-2013 12:28 PM

We have been quite unlucky with the neons. We got them 6 months ago and lost 2 in the first week for unknown reasons. We lost another to a bout of white spot a few weeks later. The next one we found dead and very fat, we assumed it just ate to much. The last one died last week, it stopped feeding and socializing then went very pale and ill looking so I separated him immediately fearing neon tetra disease (not that I knew what it looked like) but it dies less than two days later.