Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Put my cory in with cichlids? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/put-my-cory-cichlids-12691/)

tabitha20gallons 03-08-2008 08:03 AM

Put my cory in with cichlids?

Hello. I have two tanks: one 20g with a mix of tetras and the like. The other is a 55 with Malawi cichlids. In the small tank I have a cory cat who is getting large, too large for the 20 and I am considering moving him to the 55 to live with the cichllids. Would this be a safe transition for him? The cichlids are all large (between 4-6 inches and the cat is about 5. Both tanks are healthy and well established and have had little community change in the past year)

Falina 03-08-2008 08:05 AM

I would advise against it. Malawi cics have quite specific needs and are not recommended to be kept as community fish. the cory would most likely not appreciate the hard water etc of your Malawi tank, and i excpet it would be terrorized also.

What type of cory is this that has grown to 5"?

tabitha20gallons 03-08-2008 08:16 AM

cory?

I really have no clue. When I purchased it I was told it was a pleco and later, when it grew it was obviously not. When I went back to that store they had the same fish labeled differently as "mixed cory cats" and there were many types of catfish in it. I think a new employee mislabeled it or something. They are really quite knowledgeable normally... It is dark brown with a black mottled coloration and a HUGE pointed dorsal fin that looks like a sail, large barbels on the mouth. Very cool.

Falina 03-08-2008 08:26 AM

Google synodontis catfish and see if what comes up looks anything like your fish.

If it's a syno then it may be compatable with your cics. Synos, also from africa, enjoy the hard water conditions that your cics need. I've heard of them being kept with african cics before without problems, though I'd rather hear from somebody else before going ahead with it. I'm no cic expert, especially with the africans.

tabitha20gallons 03-08-2008 09:15 AM

not a cory after all

Wow, it looks exactly like the ones you suggested, especially synodontis eupterus. So, perhaps it would be ok after all... Thanks for clearing up my cat's identity!

Gage 03-08-2008 11:54 AM

what kind of africans do you have, Mbuna? Peacocks? if it is a syno, then it should be fine, but i had a syno with my Mbuna and they took off his dorsal fin, but eupterus is much MUCH more aggressive then the one i had with my africans, my eupterus has a habit of picking on my CA cichlids.

tabitha20gallons 03-09-2008 04:41 PM

I have Mbunas... So you say they ripped yours up? Yikes... my cat is pretty aggressive in the small tank. He chases around the red-tailed black shark pretty well. You think he might be ok with the africans?

beaglekjs 04-02-2008 07:43 PM

cory with cichlids

I tried this several times and cichlid ate the other fish

dougz 04-02-2008 11:15 PM

1. corys appreciate being in schools of 6 or more

2. cichlids generally live in water conditions unsuitable for the soft, acidic water loving corys..

3. corys like being with other docile community fish (livebearers, plecos), and most cichlids, you'll agree, don't fit the bill..

tabitha20gallons 04-25-2008 07:58 PM

update on my cat with the cichlids

I don't have a cory. it is a eupterus. It LOVES it in the cichlid tank. It has gotten more active, swims more, even chases the cichlids a little. It is eating well and looks very healthy. After the initial 3 days or so when the Mbunas decided to test the cats resiliency he has settled in well. They did nip the dorsal fin a little but it has already grown back clean. Thanks for all of the advice. I appreciate the forum!! go fishy!