Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   29 Gallon Biocube Compartments (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/29-gallon-biocube-compartments-126878/)

rk4435 01-26-2013 12:31 AM

29 Gallon Biocube Compartments

I purchased a used 29 gallon Oceonic Biocube from a very knowledgeable saltwater enthusiast last weekend. He had made modifications to the tank that I have read about on various forums. He ditched the manufacturer filter in chamber 1. He made a drip tray for the second chamber that sits on top of crushed rock. He said that most people do this for better filtration.

While checking things out tonight I noticed that the third chamber is completely full of water, with foam on top. The sideglass has min and max levels and I am obviously way above the max line.

Is the full third chamber with mysterious foam on it detrimental to my reef or fish? Both are new and delicate.

If it is a problem is there a way to correct it?

Thanks for any advise that you can offer.

RSully 01-26-2013 12:39 AM

I can't answer your question but if you could post a pic, I'm sure others here will be able to help you out.

Reefing Madness 01-26-2013 10:51 AM

You don't need a filter on a Reef tank. Your buddy may have known alot about SW, but the only thing he shoulda put in those chambers is Macro Algae. Answer is no, it won't be detrimental if you don't have it in there.

rk4435 01-26-2013 04:26 PM

I am new to the forum and the only way I could figure out to post a picture was to make it my profile picture. Hopefully you can see it. If you look at the far chamber you will see the foaming at the top. I did not realize that the third chamber should not be full until I started googling to see about the foam.

Reefing Madness 01-26-2013 05:06 PM

Can't really see it.

rk4435 01-26-2013 10:36 PM

Thanks for replying. The owner of my local lfs said that the foam I have is common in new tanks, something to do with the sand settling and the salt. He told me to use a paper towel to remove it. I am 24 hours in with the livestock and everyone looks very happy. The Scooter Bleny is so entertaining that I may cancel DirecTV.

Reefing Madness 01-26-2013 10:55 PM

You purchased this tank already set up? Moved the tank without taking anything down? Water Parameters are ok?

MetalArm3 02-11-2013 12:56 AM

Does this drip tray have filter floss on it? I kept the backing off one of the original Oceanic filters and use filter floss (blue/white) cut to size with marineland carbon. Its good for picking up debri over the second chamber before reaching your pump in the 3rd chamber and cheapier.

Your water level should be at the bottom trim of lid with all pumps off or like an 1" or 2" below return elbow in 3rd chamber.

Foam is normal with new sand, just scoop it out.

Is this an HQI?

MetalArm3

rk4435 02-11-2013 10:25 PM

I bought it broken down and had to reestablish it. Everything seems fine so far aside from my KH getting a little out of whack last week.

rk4435 02-11-2013 10:29 PM

Being fairly new to this I am not sure if it is actually filter floss. The owner of the local store I use sold me some sort of media pad that I can get three cuts out of. I have been changing it every two weeks and rinsing it weekly to get the sand off of it. I am just about two inches below the powerhead now. I'm still not sure what the sight glass is all about, I'm way above it but everything seems to be going well. It is a Oceonoic Biocube. We are considering turning the 36 gallon bowfront into a salt water tank but the 8 gallon and 29 gallon cubes got expensive quick.