Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Aiptasia out of control..now what? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/aiptasia-out-control-now-what-126817/)

dfbiggs 01-25-2013 12:59 PM

Aiptasia out of control..now what?

I tried scraping them off the rocks..impossible and pointless. Is Aiptasia X worth using? I know there are other options like hot sauce and other weird concoctions but I'm not putting anything like that in my tank. Also I'd rather not have to remove my puffers.

Thanks.

Reefing Madness 01-25-2013 01:15 PM

Yes, it works. I use a syringe filled with lemon juice. You can also boil that rock in water, do it one piece at a time. Just alittle tip, when you scrape them off, the pieces parts go to other parts of the tank, and grow.
Copperbanded Butterfly would be your best bet in that tank, if yiur tank is big enough.

dfbiggs 01-25-2013 02:31 PM

You can use lemon juice with fish in the tank? How long does it take for them to go away after you feed them lemon juice?

I read that if you don't remove all the cells they will spread...I read this after the fact..lol. I'm not interested in adding any fish to solve the problem. Also all my rock is covered in macro algae plants I would like to keep...so can't boil my plants.

Reefing Madness 01-25-2013 05:44 PM

You can see it die on the spot if you get it right. Lemon juice won't hurt anything as long as you don't go dropping in a bottle of it. If yiu do get a bunch in there it raises the PH some.

RSully 01-25-2013 07:54 PM

I'm using aiptasia x right now in my qt tank. It works really well. ONly issues is getting at the really small ones but slowly I'm getting rid of them.

dfbiggs 01-25-2013 09:21 PM

Thanks all.

dfbiggs 04-18-2013 09:50 PM

Okay I used lemon juice it killed the ones that swallowed it just right but honestly I think it made the problem worse. When they die they are a messy blob of spores then it seems those spores grew into 10,000 new babies.

Will fresh water kill them...for good so no trace is left behind? Gosh and people complain about snails..these are way worse.

GwenInNM 04-18-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSully (Post 1405405)
I'm using aiptasia x right now in my qt tank. It works really well. ONly issues is getting at the really small ones but slowly I'm getting rid of them.

Totally agree! Aiptaia X is great!

wake49 04-18-2013 10:09 PM

I have tried everything. The only thing that I swear by for aptasia is peppermint shrimp. I do not know how they will fare with the puffers, but they are the only thing I have had luck with. My buddy swears by the Copperband, but once the aptasia is gone, they tend to be fussy eaters.

RSully 04-19-2013 04:20 AM

Aiptasia X works. I had my QT down to about two and got lazy and ignored it. It's back up to about 6 which I will take care of this weekend. I had a least 50-60 plus when I started and took out 8-10 or so once a week. IT DOES WORK!