Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Brown Algae after adding lights! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/brown-algae-after-adding-lights-126743/)

Bluewind 01-24-2013 07:02 PM

Brown Algae after adding lights!

I have a 10 gal with an Anubias, 2 Aponogeton, and a Marimo Ball. I decided to install proper lights for them (two 10w 6500 cfl). My plants have been thriving on the new lights... and so does brown algae apperently. A simple weekly wipe down no long keeps it in check. I have no other kinds of algae because of my vigalant Mystery Snails. I can't add any other algae eater to the tank at this time. Any suggetions on what to do?

Posted via Mobile Device

GwenInNM 01-24-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluewind (Post 1403901)
I have a 10 gal with an Anubias, 2 Aponogeton, and a Marimo Ball. I decided to install proper lights for them (two 10w 6500 cfl). My plants have been thriving on the new lights... and so does brown algae apperently. A simple weekly wipe down no long keeps it in check. I have no other kinds of algae because of my vigalant Mystery Snails. I can't add any other algae eater to the tank at this time. Any suggetions on what to do?

Posted via Mobile Device

I'd check your phosphate levels. Lots of phosphates in the water, and/or poor water quality could be what is keeping brown algae around. Usually, diatom algae (brown) shows up with new lighting, as the tank adjusts, but if it doesn't go away on it's own within a couple weeks, you may need to check other sources for problems.

Bluewind 01-24-2013 08:31 PM

I have a 10 gallon tank with a betta and 3 snails. I do 3x 20% pwc a week! My tank was the aquarium aquivalent of the home of one of those people that keep it so clean, it's creepy! :lol:

It did show up with new lighting. How long would it take to stablize?

Also, I have no way to test for phosphate, but I don't think that could be it as clean as I keep my tank, how careful I am feeding, and how few things I add to my water.
Posted via Mobile Device

dave56 01-24-2013 08:38 PM

The brown (algae) is not really an algae its the discarded shells of Diatoms. It is caused normally by high Silicates in your tap water. Normally after a few weeks to a few months it will disappear on its own. If you test your water for silicates, I think you will find a high PPM of it.:-(

Bluewind 01-24-2013 08:42 PM

Ewwwwww! Are you sure? It looks like something growing and alive and it spreads after I clean it :-(
Posted via Mobile Device

dave56 01-24-2013 09:04 PM

Does it resemble rust colored dust? If so its Diatoms. If it grows out from the leaves, or looks (fuzzy) then its something else. If you could get a pic of it posted we might be able to identify it.;-)

Bluewind 01-24-2013 11:43 PM

It "grows" on any surface (live plant, glass wall, plastic...), it has a dark earth color to it (not rust at all), and it has a slimy texture. I mean, 1 papertowel can wipe down my whole tank, but I wouldn't call it dust-like. It comes off when I wipe, but I do have to wipe to get it off as it's on there pretty good. And if it had been rust colored, I would have freaked out thinking I had a bad decor piece!

God I feel like such a newb asking these questions! I know fish, water chem, basic plantkeeping, pwc tecniques, and just about anything else that has to do with the fish I keep and their home, but I'm clueless about this! I've never had algae. Haven't had it for all the months that I've been fishkeeping. Never researched it because I never thought I would have any issues with it. When I saw it, I thought that it wouldn't be a big deal. Now it's just growing like crazy and I'm dumb as a doornail about it! :-(
Posted via Mobile Device

dave56 01-25-2013 05:48 AM

Do you have a well for your water supply, or are you on a municipal water supply? Almost sounds like the iron slime I use to get in my tanks when I had a well. From what you describe it could be just a bio film of some sort,if you have a lot of iron content in your water. If you can post a pic of it, that would help identify it.

Bluewind 01-25-2013 12:58 PM

I just cleaned it all off yesterday so it will take a few days to get enough on it to show.

And yes. I have well water, but I've been using it since October and the brown stuff didn't show up until a couple weeks ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

dave56 01-25-2013 07:07 PM

When it builds up again, and you can get a pic them we can try to figure it out. Otherwise were just guessing.