Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Bosemani Rainbowfish Questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/bosemani-rainbowfish-questions-12673/)

Cody 03-07-2008 06:34 PM

Bosemani Rainbowfish Questions

A few questions that I can't seem to find on the web.

-What would be the smallest tank size for them?
-How many do they like in a group? I have heard 3 is suffiencent, but I am not sure.
-Could I keep some in a 30G tank with Tiger Barbs and a RTBS?
-Carnivores? I read people can feed them crickets (I dont care for feeding fish live foods). I feed my barbs small ramshorns snails that I crush up the shell. Could this be suffiecient?
-Staple Diet?

Ah, I guess that is more than a few. I would just like to know a bit more about them.

jeaninel 03-07-2008 07:23 PM

I personally would not put them in anything smaller than a 4ft tank. They are very active swimmers and need plenty of room to swim. What are the dimensions of the 30 gallon?

They are a schooling fish and like to be in groups. I only have 3 but they seem very happy. I'm not sure how they'd get along with the tiger barbs and RTBS. Mine get along very well with their tankmates (see sig).

They are omnivores and appreciate some veggies in their diet. I feed mine Tetramin flakes, NLS, frozen brine, frozen bloodworms and they love algae wafers (they always steal them from my plec).

I really love my boes and enjoy watching their antics. They're a beautiful fish and I love how they change colors. They'll go from being a very pale cream color on their front end to a very dark blackish blue. They are constantly displaying and showing off to each other but never do any harm.

Hope that was some help to you.

Lupin 03-07-2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel
I personally would not put them in anything smaller than a 4ft tank. They are very active swimmers and need plenty of room to swim. What are the dimensions of the 30 gallon?

They are a schooling fish and like to be in groups. I only have 3 but they seem very happy. I'm not sure how they'd get along with the tiger barbs and RTBS. Mine get along very well with their tankmates (see sig).

They are omnivores and appreciate some veggies in their diet. I feed mine Tetramin flakes, NLS, frozen brine, frozen bloodworms and they love algae wafers (they always steal them from my plec).

I really love my boes and enjoy watching their antics. They're a beautiful fish and I love how they change colors. They'll go from being a very pale cream color on their front end to a very dark blackish blue. They are constantly displaying and showing off to each other but never do any harm.

Well explained.:)

Cody 03-07-2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel

Lots of help. Thanks for your input on your Boes. Sounds like I better talk my parents into another tank... :roll:

Cody 03-20-2008 12:46 PM

Sorry to bring this back up, but I think it would be better to ask this here than in another new thread.

My LFS got a new shipment of Preacox Rainbowfish/Neon Rainbowfish in a few days ago, and they seem interesting.

I plan on stocking my tank with 1 RTBS, 2 Kribs (1 pair or 2 females), and maybe some Neon Tetras or Marbled Hatchets. I only have my RTBS right now, but I plan on getting my Kribs soon. Could I add a few of these Rainbows into my tank? I wouldn't have all Tetras, Hatchets and Rainbows, but maybe only 1 or 2 species. Is this possible, or should they have a bigger tank?

herefishy 03-20-2008 12:59 PM

They just need a bigger tank. By the way, feeding live foods is sometimes necessary to insure the health of your fish. I offer such live foods as daphnia, brine shrimp, shrimp, bloodworms, blackworms, microworms, whiteworms, nightcrawlers, crickets and even grasshoppers...... All are necessary in the diets of some fish.

I don't understand your aversion to feeding live foods, but it's a necessary deal, in some cases.

Cody 03-20-2008 01:27 PM

I dont mind feeding live foods. I give live foods to my RTBS and even platies (who will be rehomed) around once every week or so.

All right, no Rainbows for this tank at all. Thanks for the info.

crazy4fish 03-20-2008 03:10 PM

should you only feed your fish crickets from your lfs or will ones you find outside be ok?

herefishy 03-20-2008 05:54 PM

I would stay away from wild caught crickets. I is hard to tell what they have been into.

okiemavis 03-20-2008 08:32 PM

You should check out threadfin rainbow fish. I've got 12 in my 6 foot tank and I LOVE them. I actually didn't think I would like them, but my boyfriend fell in love, and seeing as how he was cool with me having a 6 foot tank in our new (somewhat tiny) apartment, I had to do it for him. The males do this really cool displaying thing to show dominance, it's very interesting.