Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   GT and jaguar (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/gt-jaguar-126659/)

Citrusy 01-23-2013 10:20 PM

GT and jaguar

my friend gave me a green terror and its about 8 inches. he was being bullied a lot in his tank and has shredded fins, so i offered to take it so it wont get killed, well now the GT is bullying my 4 inch jaguar which is not so good. im at a loss now, i try to save one but in return he tries to kill my other cichlid. they are seperated short term.

asking all you what i should do.

would like to fix my problem. when my jaguar is 10 inches he will be rehomed. just growing him out atm for another friend.

AndrewM21 01-23-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citrusy (Post 1402890)
my friend gave me a green terror and its about 8 inches. he was being bullied a lot in his tank and has shredded fins, so i offered to take it so it wont get killed, well now the GT is bullying my 4 inch jaguar which is not so good. im at a loss now, i try to save one but in return he tries to kill my other cichlid. they are seperated short term.

asking all you what i should do.

would like to fix my problem. when my jaguar is 10 inches he will be rehomed. just growing him out atm for another friend.

What size aquarium do you have these fish in?

Citrusy 01-23-2013 11:08 PM

a 37 grow out tank for the jaguar. has lots of caves and plants

AndrewM21 01-23-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citrusy (Post 1402968)
a 37 grow out tank for the jaguar. has lots of caves and plants

Even with a multitude of hiding places/caves, tensions will rise between these two fish as they compete for territory in such a constricted space. The tank is not big enough to house both fish at their current sizes, it's not suitable to house the jaguar until he's 10 inches either.

The Green Terror is highly aggressive and is eventually going to kill your Jaguar if you keep them both in that aquarium, there simply is not enough space and this is why you are having aggression issues.

Citrusy 01-23-2013 11:40 PM

hmm, my friend has a juvenile JD and a Texas housed in a 29 and they are living happily with a plec and a catfish.

but i decided i'd go trade them up to the LFS for something i have no idea what yet

thanks for the replies

AndrewM21 01-23-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citrusy (Post 1403004)
hmm, my friend has a juvenile JD and a Texas housed in a 29 and they are living happily with a plec and a catfish.

I hope your friend is aware that both of those fish will reach almost 1 foot long, and even with a 29 Gallon "long" aquarium (30x12x18), both fish will reach a length that is as wide as the entire aquarium is.

Although, neither will ever achieve adult size in that aquarium to begin with.

Citrusy 01-23-2013 11:49 PM

instead of making a new thread i might as well ask here.

what cichlids could i have in a 37? i really like them but cant get a bigger tank for a few more months

AndrewM21 01-24-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citrusy (Post 1403022)
instead of making a new thread i might as well ask here.

what cichlids could i have in a 37? i really like them but cant get a bigger tank for a few more months

Shell Dwellers are perfect for that size aquarium, they aren't as large and are non-aggressive. Just make sure you read up on them! Also, ensure you provide lots of pretty shells for them to call home ;-)

Here is a link for you to begin reading: Tanganyika Cichlids: Shell Dwellers

Hope this helps

Citrusy 01-24-2013 12:01 AM

ok thank you very much :)