Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Sponge filter for 10 gallons (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/sponge-filter-10-gallons-126526/)

Hankj 01-22-2013 05:32 PM

Sponge filter for 10 gallons

Anyone use a sponge filter for a small tank that you are happy with and are obtainable online at a good price?

Byron 01-22-2013 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My favourite is the Hagen Elite. I have a single Elite in my 10g, and a dual Elite in each of the 20g and 29g tanks. I also have a Hydro sponge which I did have in the 10g for a few months but I prefer the Elite. I now use the Hydro in the QT.

Below is a photo of the Elite showing the dual on the left and the single on the right. The single is more than adequate in a 10g, and takes up less space.

Byron.

Hankj 01-22-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1401360)
My favourite is the Hagen Elite. I have a single Elite in my 10g, and a dual Elite in each of the 20g and 29g tanks. I also have a Hydro sponge which I did have in the 10g for a few months but I prefer the Elite. I now use the Hydro in the QT.

Below is a photo of the Elite showing the dual on the left and the single on the right. The single is more than adequate in a 10g, and takes up less space.

Byron.

How are those on noise level? You completely submerge the tube, correct?

Hankj 01-22-2013 10:13 PM

Does this look like it would do the same thing and be as effective?

Byron 01-23-2013 12:58 PM

Sponge filters themselves are noiseless; you can hear the bubbles breaking the surface if the air flow is high of course. The noise comes from the air pump that drives them. I have my tanks in a dedicated fish room so the noise is not a factor, but if the tank is in a room where it would be, you need a quiet air pump [some are, though I have not experimented sufficient to suggest which] or a different type filter.

The filter in the video you posted is a home-made version of a normal internal/external filter, but one also needing the air pump which is where the noise again comes into the picture. This is one option. Another is a simple sponge filter with an enclosed motor-head to replace the need for an air pump. The Fluval "U" series is based on these; the U1 is just a sponge filter and motor, and the U2 and up are like the one in the video except the motor is included.

In my 33g I have an old Eheim model that is just the sponge with a small motor, and I have had this running for years. Not a sound, and reliable. Unfortunately, for some reason Eheim stopped making these. The Fluval U1 is the closest thing I have found to this, but I have not myself tried the Fluval U1 so can't say much about it.

Byron.

thekoimaiden 01-23-2013 02:17 PM

I've been running sponge filters on my 10 gal betta tanks for years now. I'd previously used some home-made ones, but removed those because I didn't feel like I was getting enough flow (now those filters are just QT filters). I just installed the Hydro II sponge filters in my 10 gal tanks; the noise level actually seems to have decreased with them. One important thing with keeping the noise at a minimum is using a gang valve to control the flow of air into the filter. Too much and they'll be rather noisy. Also thought I would add these tanks are in my bedroom.

Hankj 01-26-2013 06:38 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!

twocents 01-26-2013 08:32 PM

I have the tanks in my room, but I have one large air pump which I put in teh cellar.. so i really don't hear it.
it runs all 6 of my tanks. I have cube foam block filters i got from angels plus.