Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Finally Broke Down and got some stuff! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/finally-broke-down-got-some-stuff-12646/)

Twitch 03-06-2008 05:27 PM

Finally Broke Down and got some stuff!

Well I have some 20L tanks sitting around not being used so I figured I'd go ahead and turn one into a saltwater tank. The problem is, I have three, and I have no idea if they are salt water safe. One I think is definatly not since the top is designed for a sliding wire mesh top (like for small rodents and reptiles) The other two are normal tanks but I remember one had a label saying not for use with water. I removed those labels and now I don't know which one is water safe, if either of them are. I just remembered this AFTER coming home with live sand and 4lbs of live rock and 20g of salt water.

Any ideas on how to figure out if either of them are salt water safe? Or should I just go out and buy a new 20L tank?

Cody 03-06-2008 05:55 PM

It would be best to get a new 20 long. If you want to check, fill the tanks with water and wait for a few days.

Have you even bought lights, filtration, heating, test kits, refractometers, salt, RO/DI water system, anything besides the LR and LS?

Twitch 03-06-2008 06:02 PM

We have a filter. This is going to be a slow process for me. I'm not rushing into anything and I don't need lights for live rock and sand. I will probably be getting lights sometime later this month or next month. We have a filter, water, LS and LR. I'm not dumping any corals or fish in just yet so all of the major equipment is unneeded right now.

I am probably going out tonight to buy a new tank. From now on, those little labels that say if they are water safe will remain on all tanks I buy in the future.

Cody 03-06-2008 06:10 PM

I wouldn't have bought any LR or LS untill I got all the equipment.

I would be worried about a pretty big die-off on your LR. With no light or anything, a lot of things can die off. But, it also will make for cured rock, which can be a plus towards your tank in the future.

Good luck, I will be watching your progression. :)

Twitch 03-06-2008 06:17 PM

What kind of lighting would be needed. I can go out and get it tomorrow if absolutely necessary but I'd would prefer to wait due to funds. The lighting they recommended was $130 and I will have money for that most defiantly by the end of the month or sometime in April.

Twitch 03-06-2008 08:51 PM

Went out and got a new 20L so we know this one is good for water. I'm about to set it all up but I forgot what the guy at the LFS said about putting in the LR and LS. Is it LR, water, then LS or LR, LS, and then water?

dallops_of_polyps 03-06-2008 09:04 PM

ls water lr water lr water

Twitch 03-06-2008 09:06 PM

I could have sworn he said LS last though. He said it helps let it settle easier and it helps prevent really cloudy water.

Twitch 03-06-2008 09:19 PM

OMGoodness! There is a little starfish thingy in there! I put the LR in first and started adding the saltwater and as I'm pouring I see this little thing with five legs! I think they are called brittle stars but correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Cody 03-06-2008 09:56 PM

Sounds correct. Good hitchhiker you got there.

You are using store-bought water I take it?