Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   spiral snails bad? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/spiral-snails-bad-126423/)

slojko 01-21-2013 06:34 PM

spiral snails bad?

i started noticing snails with cone shaped shells the ones that burrow in the sand. i wanted to know if thats a good or bad sign. i have a dwarf loach that is supposed to eat snails but i dont know if it cant find them or it doesnt eat that kind of snail

djembekah 01-21-2013 08:17 PM

those are probably malaysian trumpet snails. they probably came in on a plant. i like them, they help aerate the sand. if you don't, i think there are some loaches that eat snails, but i don't really know which they are.

AndrewM21 01-21-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djembekah (Post 1399856)
i think there are some loaches that eat snails, but i don't really know which they are.

Yoyos are great snail annihilators.

@OP. Please do not buy these fish simply to solve your snail problem, if you do not have the appropriate housing for them and do not wish to keep them after they eradicate your snail population, don't buy them. To add to this, do not buy a fish to solve any "problem", buy them because you like them and want to enjoy their personalities, problem solving is just a bonus ;-)

slojko 01-21-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewM21 (Post 1399904)
Yoyos are great snail annihilators.

@OP. Please do not buy these fish simply to solve your snail problem, if you do not have the appropriate housing for them and do not wish to keep them after they eradicate your snail population, don't buy them. To add to this, do not buy a fish to solve any "problem", buy them because you like them and want to enjoy their personalities, problem solving is just a bonus ;-)

i already have a dwarf loach in their just wanted to make sure that the snails arent harmful

AndrewM21 01-21-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slojko (Post 1399936)
i already have a dwarf loach in their just wanted to make sure that the snails arent harmful

Snails are a great addition to the tank and can often get to places your scrub brush can't, thus making them a very valuable asset to the aquarium when it comes to keeping it clean. The snails you have mentioned (as stated) are likely MPS, and are not harmful.

Byron 01-22-2013 06:29 PM

The dwarf loach is not the greatest snail eater, especially with the Malaysian Livebearing Snail which has a "trap door" that loaches find difficult to get past. But they will get some. I have MLS in my tank with a group of dwarf loach and banded dwarf loach, and there are a few empty shells on the sand but not many compared to the number of snails in the tank.

Byron.