Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   painting decor (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/painting-decor-126388/)

fishaddict52 01-21-2013 01:24 PM

painting decor

I heard Krylon paint is safe to use in the aquarium for decor parts.:-?Has any one used it or has any advice on what paint is safe inside the tank.As allways all advice is welcome.:-D:-D:-D

rjordan390 01-21-2013 02:27 PM

I and some others have used "Krylon Fusion" paint on pvc fittings to make them blend in with the background and there was no negative results. I let my painted pieces set out in the sun for over a week to cure. Be careful with it as it is flammable. Spraying indoors is a no-no. The other important thing is to make sure it is fully cured before placing the item in the tank. At this time of year, curing will take longer.

JDM 01-31-2013 10:59 AM

How about the PVC pipe glue? I would expect that it is fine as it is used for potable water plumbing but that is still different than it sitting in water that doesn't refresh as often as a water source pipe. I was going to be putting together some for my tank and just haven't gotten around to asking.

Jeff.

pop 01-31-2013 12:16 PM

Hello;
Many will disagree with me but PVC is not approved for indoor use with potable water (check with local permit and inspection department). PVC is approved only for outdoor potable water use. CPVC and pex pipe is approved for indoor use with potable water (hot & cold). CPVC you can glue pex you would have to use compression fittings. Both CPVC & pex cost a lot more than pvc. CPVC if I recall rightly comes about 2 inches or less in diameter and pex is around 1 inch or less in diameter. If you choose to use pvc then be sure to use the purple cleaner before gluing.

why do you want to glue fittings anyway?

GOOD LUCK.
pop

JDM 01-31-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pop (Post 1413885)
Hello;
Many will disagree with me but PVC is not approved for indoor use with potable water (check with local permit and inspection department). PVC is approved only for outdoor potable water use. CPVC and pex pipe is approved for indoor use with potable water (hot & cold). CPVC you can glue pex you would have to use compression fittings. Both CPVC & pex cost a lot more than pvc. CPVC if I recall rightly comes about 2 inches or less in diameter and pex is around 1 inch or less in diameter. If you choose to use pvc then be sure to use the purple cleaner before gluing.

why do you want to glue fittings anyway?

GOOD LUCK.
pop

I was going to just dry fit them and see if they work, they should if I am aggressive with my assembly, but I wondered if others who do glue in tank assemblies use something in particular of just the regular glue.

I'm a copper pipe guy, I solder well, never had a leak yet, and never converted to plastics and compression fittings other than for the tap works.

Jeff.

fishaddict52 01-31-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1413826)
How about the PVC pipe glue? I would expect that it is fine as it is used for potable water plumbing but that is still different than it sitting in water that doesn't refresh as often as a water source pipe. I was going to be putting together some for my tank and just haven't gotten around to asking.

Jeff.

Why are you hijacking my thread??????????????????????

JDM 01-31-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishaddict52 (Post 1413995)
Why are you hijacking my thread??????????????????????

Hey, everyone was hijacking mine... thought I might give it a try.:-P

Besides, it was buried and my question is somewhat related... volatile compounds used in aquariums.

Jeff.

rjordan390 01-31-2013 03:13 PM

Pop,
I believe you are confusing California or other States codes with National codes.
Prior to 1977, Pvc did leach toxins and I think it was recommended only for sewage and household drains. But after 1977, manufacturers changed the formula to increase the safety of pvc. Pvc can now be used for cold potable water. Potable water means it is drinkable whether its installed indoors or outdoors. The word potable is even stamped on white pvc pipe. Even with copper pipes, its recommended to run the water a bit before drinking.
The state of California must have the strictists codes of all because everytime I buy a product like paint etc etc , the warnings will say the state of California has determined that the product contains toxins . So one might ask; why just the state of California? Seems to me they been crying wolf too long. Now as for hot water use, I do not think its approved for that.
And that is probally why cpvc is the choice for both cold and hot water.

pop 02-01-2013 08:32 AM

Good point but I said that pvc was not approved for indoor potable water use. It can be used outside for potable water just not inside a building.
pop