Green Catfish: One dead, One missing, One fine, all other fish are fine?
A few days ago, I found that one of my green catfish had passed away and one of them had gone missing. I don't know where the second fish went, but I have a lid on the tank and I haven't found any bones in the tank. The first and second fish both died/disappeared the same day.The third is still alive and showing no symptoms. None of the other fish have any symptoms.
1. Size of tank? nine gallons (A ten gallon tank with a 1 gallon Kritter Keeper inside of it)
2. Water parameters The last time I had it tested was 1 1/2 months ago at a pet store and the worker said that my water was "perfect" and her tank wasn't even that good. I have had some issues with my pH being too low in the past, but it seems that has been resolved.
a. Ammonia? I have one of those ammonia alert strips that you leave in the tank and it changes color any time there's an ammonia change it changes color. It says the ammonia is at zero, but I'm unsure how accurate it is.
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit? If necessary, I can test the ammonia with my liquid API test kit. That's the only kit I have.
3. Temperature? Stayed around 80 until 2 1/2 months ago, then I slowly lowered the temperature to around 74-75. It stays very stable.
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? Fresh water.
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? Five-ish months.
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? Three weeks ago, my male guppy died, so now I have two very small female guppies.
I have a male/female swordtail pair, a male/female platy pair, and a male betta fish (I watch him carefully; he rarely pays attention to the other fish). I put a 1 inch goldfish into the tank about a week before two of my cory cats died. I now have one catfish.
I know my tank is overstocked. My parents think they can buy my love with fish. :roll: Also, the reason the goldfish is in a tropical tank is because my father bought it for me because he saw the workers poking it with a net while it was on death's door, so he brought it to me. We thought it was going to die that night, but once it was put in clean water, it got much better. I put it in the ten gal because I thought that it would be better than it staying in the 1 gal Kritter Keeper which had a temperature of 50 degrees F on a good day.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? The male swordtail was very agressive towards the other fish, so I put him in quarantine for a month. Now, he never chases or bites. The goldfish was in quartantine for three months.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? About seven Amazon Swords. Two are larger and five are small. One plastic plant that resembles grass on the tank floor and two silk plants.
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Black aquarium rocks, two fake rock caves, a "Betta Log"
9. a. Filtration? The filter that came with the tank; Top Fin 10. I have half of a water bottle that baffles it.
b. Heater? The one that came with the tank, but I don't know what it's called.
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? One of the two lights went out, so there's one light over the more open side of the tank. It stays on most days because I do not live at the house where my tank is full time. The other part of the tank has the silk plants and caves and is very dark.
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? Very, very indirect for a few hours of the day.
11. a. Water change schedule? once a month.
b. Volume of water changed? 25-50%. Last was 40%ish
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap
d. Water conditioner used? Used to use Stress Coat, but when I ran out of that I had to use water conditioner for reptiles. The only difference was that the reptile one didn't have the stress coat and it removed heavy metals.
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? I don't really understand this question, but I do vacuum the gravel when I do water changes.
12. Foods? Frozen daphnia, frozen baby brine shrimp (quick question: I was told I had to wash these before I feed them, but they seem to be too small. What should I do?) both from Hikari. Omega One cichlid pellets.
How often are they fed? Fast on Sunday, daphnia on Monday, brine shrimp on Friday, and pellets every day not already listed
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? I noticed that when I would go to bed at night during the winter break (usually at about 2 am) it would wake them up and the catfish would turn very pale, but they would be normal in the morning.
b. Appearance of poop? Never noticed them poop ever
c. Appearance of gills? Normal
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? No
b. What meds were used? None
Since you don't have test kits and water conditions change rapidly, the first thing I would do is preform a 50% water change and clean the gravel as well as you can. I always do a water change if I perceive an issue. If it is a water chemistry issue, this will essentially reduce any nitrogen issues in the tank by half. The ammonia test strips that sit in the tank that I am familiar with only last a short while (few months to 6 months); you may want to look into seeing if yours are still working.
What I suggested is to change 100% of the water in the tank every month; Ideally this should be done in a minimum 2 water changes. Less fish and underfeeding means you could get away with less but since overstocking and overfeeding are common issues, I see the 100% as the minimum. Also, make sure you are using a dechlorinator.
Cories are susceptible to nitrogen waste in the tank. They will lose their barbels/whiskers or they become shorter. This is a sign that you need to up your cleanings.
Do you know if it was a gold fish feeder, they are notorious for having diseases.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.