Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Best tetras for a gourami tank? Or.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/best-tetras-gourami-tank-126120/)

redchigh 01-19-2013 01:29 AM

Best tetras for a gourami tank? Or....

I made a post about this a while back, but I can't find it.

I have a 20 gallon Long with several flame gourami. (I started with a pair, but now I don't know how many I have. It's at least 7.)

The tank has relatively low light, and the surface is nearly completely covered in duckweed. It has several pieces of drifrwood, along with java moss, a tiny E. Parvula, a couple crypt wendtii, dwarf sag, a big dwarf water lily, and some floating elodea.

The tank isn't thickly planted, but its got a lot of driftwood.

My only complaint is that I never really see my gourami- any movement in the room sends them darting for cover, they won't even eat unless I move away and sit perfectly still.

I've heard that dither fish will help. Rasboras are the obvious choice, but Tetras are always on sale at petco. Are there any tetras that will come out at feeding time but won't terrorise the gourami?

If not, I guess I'll have to go with harlequins...

Quantum 01-19-2013 07:19 AM

of the commonly available ones, I think glowlights would be good here, they look nice in more dimly lit conditions and they generally stay lower in the tank so the gourami can have the upper part to themselves, though this may not be as obvious in a 12" tall tank

I've never seen an aggression to other fish from them, only little battles amongst themselves, perfectly normal and no damage done, when I had them with harlequins, the rasboras would bully them

Ogre44 01-19-2013 09:33 AM

I had glolights, specifically because of their peaceful reputation, in a tank with my betta and they tore him to bits.
He is big and slow, so the temptation may have been just too much for them to resist.

redchigh 01-19-2013 11:55 AM

I had black neons before and they were chill. Think they would work?

Think regular neons would get eaten?

Byron 01-19-2013 02:44 PM

I myself would stay with rasbora. The species in Trigonostigma work well (I had one of these in with Chocolate gourami even and they were fine). The Boraras will be OK, or should; mine didn't bother pygmy sparkling gourami. My Eyespot rasbora also left gourami alone, and these are always mixed in with the T. hengeli group.

All characins have lots of teeth, and even peaceful species have frequently turned into nippers when given the temptation. Ember Tetra being very small might work, I have some and they have never approached other fish, and they are in with hatchets, pencils including Nannostomus eques which is a prime target, and no issues. But I can't say about being with gourami.

Byron.