Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   How many of you guys are using UV sterilisation method (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-many-you-guys-using-uv-12612/)

cedricb 03-05-2008 12:15 PM

How many of you guys are using UV sterilisation method

I was wondering what could be the percentage of aquarist that are currently using UV sterilisation methods and if they were happy with that.

Does it really dramatically reduce the chance that your fish get any kind of bacterial infection?

please fell free to share your comments on this subject.

cedric

herefishy 03-05-2008 12:22 PM

C'est moi. I use it one (4)tanks and the replenishment systems in the fish room. I posted earlier, in another thread, I can't remember my last outbreak of ich. Since upgrading, I don't think I've had any. I plan on upgrading at least (2) maybe (4) other tanks this year.

cedricb 03-05-2008 12:30 PM

c'est moi ??? you speak french ?

I like what I hear from you, I was wondering if I had to got for it but I'm more and more determine to buy one.
I saw this one on several websites now. It gives me the impression to be a good product probably worth to buy. It will be the perfect design because I only have power filters and no canister type of filtration. I will be able to put this guy directly inside the tank. it looks cool.

name of the product i'm speaking about :
Submariner UVC.

cedric

herefishy 03-05-2008 12:56 PM

I know that there are a couple of products on the market that Hang on the back(or side) of a tank and act as a circulating pump. I have no experience with these.

I have mine inline(on the tanks) with canisters and 3500gph circulation pumps on the replenishment systems' reservoirs. I use them on the discharge side of both the filters and the pumps. Just the way I was told to do it years ago and I've never doubted the effectiveness of such a configuration. No need to, it works.

I have a chart around here, somewhere, that gives one a guide of what size UV light to use. It is based on water flow of the pump. I hope to find it but, right now it is "Mission Impossible". The fishroom is in a mild state of disarray. At least, more so than normal. It was published in TFH magazine some years back.

I believe that I am using 14w bulbs on the 3500gph pumps, maybe larger. They are not in a good position to readily check. I change them once every three months just to make sure I get maximum performance. I will be doing routine maintainance on all recirulation systems in a couple of weeks and will check then. I believe the lights on the Magnums are either 4w or 7w. I will check that this weekend when I do the maintenance on the canisters. A dreaded, albeit necessary, task.

fish_4_all 03-05-2008 01:04 PM

I have never used one and never really saw a need to. I have had one ich outbreak in the years I have kept fish and that was because I was crazy enough to buy fish from Walmart when I saw ich in another tank. Little did I know they used a central filter system so all of them were exposed to it.

cedricb 03-05-2008 02:25 PM

let say that my main concern is not about ich.
I would say that ich is the most commun, most studied and most easy thing to cure in a tank. and 80% of the medicin you can buy in petshops are working. my main concern is these hundreds of different bacterial infection that your fish can and will catch.
because these infections are very difficult to diagnose most of the time you endup using the wrong medicin that or doesn't cure your fish or even worst kill them.

that's to avoid all kind of different nasty bacteria in the tank that I would like to use a uv sterilisation system.

cedric

Elahrairah 03-05-2008 05:20 PM

I use this: the 24 watt version.

works great (no ich or algae blooms) for the price. I am sure there are many out there much better, but you pay the premium for it.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...amily&keepsr=1

Holly 03-05-2008 08:30 PM

I just bought this, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4&pcatid=13954, today. I'll let you know next week how it works out.

cedricb 03-06-2008 02:52 PM

thank you all for the advise.

I'm still hesitating between the petsmart model which is cheaper, has a 24 W uv lamp and doesn't have any quartz sleeve and the Submariner UVC that is 7 W and have a quartz sleeve.

I already know that the quartz sleeve is definitively important to optimyse the dose of UV given to any pathogens swimming in the water.

I cannot find again the webpage where I found one time a list of the different pathigens and the UV wattage necessary to kill them.

if any body has an idea please send the link...

An other question : does anybody have a clue what are the dimesions of the Submariner UVC??? I couldn't find it anywhere on the web (at least for the moment)

thanks
cedric