Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   55 Gallon Stocking Suggestions? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/55-gallon-stocking-suggestions-126074/)

Psylk87 01-18-2013 06:44 PM

55 Gallon Stocking Suggestions?

Pretty straight forward. I just got my hands on a 55 gallon tank for amazingly cheap. ($100 for the tank and stand!) I was wanitng to get some stocking suggestions for a nice well rounded tank. This will be the largest tank I have owned.

SaveGoal 01-18-2013 09:46 PM

do you want the tank to peaceful, semi-aggressive or aggressive

JDM 01-18-2013 10:58 PM

What are your water parameters expected to be?

Jeff.

Psylk87 01-19-2013 11:53 AM

I definitely want a community tank. Lots of pretty patterns or colors. I am leaning towards moslty peaceful. As for water parameters I can keep them pretty much anywhere that the fish need.

JDM 01-19-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psylk87 (Post 1396396)
I definitely want a community tank. Lots of pretty patterns or colors. I am leaning towards moslty peaceful. As for water parameters I can keep them pretty much anywhere that the fish need.

Rather than try to suggest fish, how about the overall idea?

If you can do that with the water parameters (please give some details, I'm curious) then your selection possibilities are wide open and based solely on your tank size and personal preference. I'd suggest just surfing for a larger "show fish" based on what you like then choosing your shoaling species to match the parameters that you need for it. That was where I started until I realized that messing with my water parameters was going to be either expensive or chemical laden... neither of which I looked forward to.

Of course you could skip the show fish and just go with more shoals, maybe three including bottom dwellers. If you keep them to small to medium sized fish you can have larger groups of each which always looks more interesting than many small groups.

Watch the water temps for the bottom guys, most corys like slightly cooler water than most tropicals, some cats are a good choice as some are higher temp fish. I didn't look too closely at the loaches but they are popular, just watch the fully grown sizes and keep them in large enough groups and watch the water temps on them too.

I was aiming for a cockatoo dwarf cichlid due to my 37 gallon tank. Colourful, not too large, total group of about four plus mid water shoaling and bottom feeders. I had dwarf striped loach on the bottom and mosquito rasbora for the midwater. Of course all that changed, but that is a longish story.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

Jeff.