Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   College Dorm w/ Glofish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/college-dorm-w-glofish-126066/)

Damian 01-18-2013 03:53 PM

College Dorm w/ Glofish

Hello, I am new to the site and new to keeping fish. I am currently in school full time living in a dorm. I have always been interested in fish and wanted to have a few of my own while living away. I went out and purchased a 3 gallon tank for my room.( my school allows a maximum of 10 gallon tanks in the rooms).

At this point I have 3 Glofish living in the tank(one inch of fish for 1 gallon of water), I also have three plastic plants as well. I have been noticing that one of the fish is being aggressive towards the two. Is this normal? I've read online that they play "tag" with each other. I have no idea if thats a valid statement or not. Is there anything else I could do to help them stop? I also feed them once a day at around 4pm.

Thanks!
Damian

Misomie 01-19-2013 02:58 PM

They are fighting because their school is too small. Danios need at least six in a school to be friendly with one another (schooling fish become aggressive and nervous when their schools are two small). Also, your tank is too small for them (the inch per gallon rule is garbage). You should upgrade to a ten gallon (even that would be small for them as they are active swimmers) or replace them with fish that are ok in such a small tank (ex. Betta, Guppies, Shrimp, ect.)

Backer 01-19-2013 03:21 PM

Hey! Welcome to the hobby and the forum!

Unfortunately glofish are a schooling fish and do need a larger number of them for them to feel safe. They will assert dominance unless there are enough of them. This information will likely be available in the tab called "tropical fish profiles". I would suggest upgrading to a 10 gallon as you will not be able to successfully keep much of anything in a 3 gallon. One, maybe two smaller, more inactive fish would be suitable. I think 3 gallons would be nice for a Betta (some would argue more). Plus, once you get hooked on this hobby you will want the biggest tank you are allowed :) and 10 gallons are pretty cheap (don't worry I am a student too).

Good luck, hope that helps.

Damian 01-20-2013 02:24 PM

I think I'm going out tomorrow to pick up a ten gallon tank. Should I add two more fish to make the school a bit bigger, or just keep the three Danios and let them have their room? Also, if I do get a bigger tank can I get an upside down catfish, a sucker fish, or a little shark? I read that they go good with Danios? I need all the help I can get.

Thanks!
Damian

jentralala 01-20-2013 03:02 PM

Okay, we need to start from the beginning here. I don't mean to sound rude in what I'm going to say, but I feel as if you don't understand a few key points here.

You can't just put fish into a tank of water and be done with it. The tank needs to be cycled, have you read about that? It's where you colonize bacteria to take care of the fish waste (ammonia, which gets converted to nitrite and then nitrate.) You can either do a fishless cycle which can take a month, leaving your glofish cramped in a 3 gallon that doesn't sound as if it's been cycled, or you can heavily plant the 10 gallon with real plants, such as anacharis, aponogeton bulbs, wisteria, water sprite. These are fast growing plants that will take up waste.

Don't forget water changes! You should change out about 25%-30% of the water each week, conditioning the new water to eliminate chlorine/chloramine/heavy metals. This will help keep the fish healthy.

I would wait at least a month before adding any new fish, and only add one or two at a time with several weeks between. Priority would be getting the school up to six.
Unfortunately, none of those fish you mentioned will do well in a 10 gallon. Sharks of any sort usually need a 55 gallon or larger tank. They may look small in the store but they get very large. You should also never put a fish in your tank that will eventually need more space, it can lead to severe physical/phsiological damage.

The profiles on the site (shaded names lead to profiles if you click on them, such as Upside Down Catfish) will guide you to suitable fish.

Damian 01-20-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jentralala (Post 1397956)
Okay, we need to start from the beginning here. I don't mean to sound rude in what I'm going to say, but I feel as if you don't understand a few key points here.

You can't just put fish into a tank of water and be done with it. The tank needs to be cycled, have you read about that? It's where you colonize bacteria to take care of the fish waste (ammonia, which gets converted to nitrite and then nitrate.) You can either do a fishless cycle which can take a month, leaving your glofish cramped in a 3 gallon that doesn't sound as if it's been cycled, or you can heavily plant the 10 gallon with real plants, such as anacharis, aponogeton bulbs, wisteria, water sprite. These are fast growing plants that will take up waste.

Don't forget water changes! You should change out about 25%-30% of the water each week, conditioning the new water to eliminate chlorine/chloramine/heavy metals. This will help keep the fish healthy.

I would wait at least a month before adding any new fish, and only add one or two at a time with several weeks between. Priority would be getting the school up to six.
Unfortunately, none of those fish you mentioned will do well in a 10 gallon. Sharks of any sort usually need a 55 gallon or larger tank. They may look small in the store but they get very large. You should also never put a fish in your tank that will eventually need more space, it can lead to severe physical/phsiological damage.

The profiles on the site (shaded names lead to profiles if you click on them, such as Upside Down Catfish) will guide you to suitable fish.

The way you have worded your post you seemed to be coming off as extremely rude and obnoxious, you are talking to me like just because I am in college that means I have no idea what I am doing, and that I have no time for these fish. There are better ways to word your answer to my question.

Lets try talking to people in a better way. This is a suitable way to answering my question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 1395546)
Hey! I know you’re new to forums, and it sounds like this is your first time keeping fish as pets. Do you mind if I offer you a bit of help with your new fish? I’m not sure if you know this or not, but the tank water has to be recycled. It's where you colonize bacteria to take care of the fish waste (ammonia, which gets converted to nitrite and then nitrate.) You can either do a fishless cycle which can take a month, I wouldn’t advise keeping your fish in a 3 gallon tank, they will get cramped very easily, you can heavily plant the 10 gallon with real plants, such as anacharis, aponogeton bulbs, wisteria, and water sprites. These are fast growing plants that will take up waste.

On the other hand you did offer great advice and I'm thankful for that, just the way you worded made it sound rude, regardless if you stated in the beginning of the post "I don't mean to sound rude in what I'm going to say, but I feel as if you don't understand a few key points here."

Byron 01-20-2013 06:44 PM

Damian, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:cheers:

I have been on this forum for almost 4 years now, and I spend roughly one quarter of my life here. Every third post I make seems to be saying exactly the same thing I have said so many times before, and that can be quite frustrating. Sometimes this can lead us to not be as careful in our choice of words as we should be, and there is also the fact that things often come across very differently in typed words than what is actually intended. We all care passionately for our fish, and all fish. And we all want to help others. I know jentralala was only trying to help you quickly.

To your initial problem. A 10g will house a group of 6 glofish, but that is it. This is not the best, but it is doable with live plants and weekly partial water changes. Good luck.

Byron.

Olympia 01-20-2013 06:49 PM

Agree with the others.
I'd read up on live plants, even with just some glofish a planted tank can look so much more interesting. I'd probably throw in a mystery snail for fun too. Good luck!
I'm pretty sure Jen is my age (17) so I doubt it was a case of "this college kid knows nothing".
Fish can seem stressful at first but things will settle down pretty quickly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Backer 01-20-2013 11:46 PM

I agree with the others.

So in short 3 things:
1. Cycle your tank (lots of info on here about that)
2. Don't buy more fish yet. (wait until your tank is cycled)
3. 6 glofish are as big as you can go in a 10 gallon, maybe a snail too.

Also, I have been on this site for a few years, no one I have dealt with has been rude, no thinks you are a dumb college kid, we all just wanna give you a hand with your fishkeeping. I am a university kid too, and I have learned literally almost everything I know about fish on here. Whether or not I WANTED to know it when I learned it HaHa!

Goodluck in your new adventure! You'll have fun!

Keep coming back here with questions.

:-D

Damian 01-21-2013 12:49 PM

Thanks everybody for the help!

Backer,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backer (Post 1398614)
I agree with the others.

So in short 3 things:
1. Cycle your tank (lots of info on here about that)
2. Don't buy more fish yet. (wait until your tank is cycled)
3. 6 glofish are as big as you can go in a 10 gallon, maybe a snail too.

Also, I have been on this site for a few years, no one I have dealt with has been rude, no thinks you are a dumb college kid, we all just wanna give you a hand with your fishkeeping. I am a university kid too, and I have learned literally almost everything I know about fish on here. Whether or not I WANTED to know it when I learned it HaHa!

Goodluck in your new adventure! You'll have fun!

Keep coming back here with questions.

:-D

Thank you, I will cycling my tank today. Its good that I have only had the fish for 7 days! :-P