Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   moving a cryptocoryne (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/moving-cryptocoryne-126019/)

squishylittlefishies 01-17-2013 11:19 PM

moving a cryptocoryne

I have one cryptocoryne plant. I'm not sure what type it is, but when I bought it, it was the variety with long stems and a small leaf at the end(green variety I think), then it melted and morphed into a totally different plant! Anyway... It's been living in the back corner for awhile now, and is getting so big that it's choking itself out. The leaves in the back are yellow and wilty because they can't get light throught the higher leaves. I wanted to move it somewhere else, like...right smack in the middle of the tank.(: I was feeling around the base of it though, and it's got a really complex root system! The sand around it feels all spongey fromm all the roots underneath, and it's sent out runners and stuff. I'm terifies to move it because I don't want to loose all this beautiful growth. Is it ok if i damage some of the many roots? Any ideas for how to best go about with the re-location? maybe i'm just worrying too much.
Thanks in advance!

equatics 01-18-2013 04:25 AM

You might try separating one of the plants from the rest of them and moving it (or several plants) somewhere else, where you would like it.

The roots are very sensitive - dig a hole, don't just push the plants into the substrate. You can expect some melting, but my crypts come back after they melted - might have to wait a little while.

One of these YouTube videos might give you some ideas:

plaanting cryptocorne - YouTube

Steven

ao 01-18-2013 04:40 AM

i would try and cut off one of the daughter plants rather than moving the entire thing.... its roots may have tken over the entire bottom of your tank, which means uprooting it will send everythin flying everywhere... if you chop off the roots, the plant will probably melt again.

squishylittlefishies 01-18-2013 09:24 PM

Well, I did it! I removed all the fake plants so they wouldn't get in the way. Luckily, all my other live plants were on the opposite side of the tank, so they weren't uprooted. Yup, you were right: the roots were spread about halfway across the tank, and the water turned all foggy. It cleared up pretyy quick tthough! The plant looks HUGEnow. It looked abot half the size, all cramped up in the corner. I broke a few leaves, and lost some tiny threads of root, but nothing major was damaged. It looks great so now i'm just praying it will do ok! It never left the water, so It probably wont melt. Thanks!

Peacelily 03-03-2013 05:10 PM

How is it doing? Did it melt after you moved it?

Olympia 03-03-2013 05:35 PM

My crypts never melt.. I hack at them, rip them apart by hand, let them almost dry up, put them in a cold bucket of water with no light for a week, nope, never. xD I find it interesting that some people's melt so easily. Mine are the healthiest plants I own and I torture them!