Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Strange Sounds Emitting From Heater (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/strange-sounds-emitting-heater-125974/)

rockhound 01-17-2013 02:35 PM

Strange Sounds Emitting From Heater

A couple weeks ago I purchased a Radiant Elite 100W heater for my 15.6-gallon tall tank. The tank currently has no inhabitants, fish, plants, or otherwise. Today I decided to test out the heater. When I turned the heater on, it emitted a few clicks, which from what I have read is normal. After the first few clicks it went silent. About 30-45 minutes later it started clicking again very rapidly (think about the rapid clicking that old computer hard drives used to make). This struck me as rather odd. A couple minutes later the heater starts to squeal along with the rapid clicking.

I have turned the heater off and unplugged it. I am waiting for it to cool so that I can inspect it for any cracks or leaks. Does anyone have experience with this? Do I have a bad heater?

Kuddos 2 U 01-18-2013 09:00 AM

I once bought a heater that was supposed to be for a 10-30 gallon aquarium and I used it for a 5 gallon aquarium for my betta because they didn't have one. After a week or so, I noticed that it made small clicking sounds and inside the heater, I could see some small sparks of electricity. The light that told me when the heater was heating would turn on off during this. Other than that it still worked.

avraptorhal 01-18-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockhound (Post 1394381)
A couple weeks ago I purchased a Radiant Elite 100W heater for my 15.6-gallon tall tank. The tank currently has no inhabitants, fish, plants, or otherwise. Today I decided to test out the heater. When I turned the heater on, it emitted a few clicks, which from what I have read is normal. After the first few clicks it went silent. About 30-45 minutes later it started clicking again very rapidly (think about the rapid clicking that old computer hard drives used to make). This struck me as rather odd. A couple minutes later the heater starts to squeal along with the rapid clicking.

I have turned the heater off and unplugged it. I am waiting for it to cool so that I can inspect it for any cracks or leaks. Does anyone have experience with this? Do I have a bad heater?

In my industrial experience with temperature control technology, what you are experiencing could be the thermostat contacts cycling rapidly when the matter being heated is vey close to the set point on the thermostat. Long winded, but I hope that may throw some light on what's happening.

Also, the bimetallic contacts may be wearing out. That is the metal may fatiquing producing erratic operation.
HTH

avraptorhal