Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Best Method for Cycling? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/best-method-cycling-12592/)

Phoenix 03-04-2008 07:50 PM

Best Method for Cycling?

I am looking to start my first Saltwater tank within the next few months. I am trying to find the best method to cycle a tank.

I understand I will need live rocks. But would like to know: do I put fish in during cycling, what about live sand, how much rock & sand should the tank have, what about crabs & snails, and anything else that I should know?

(I would like to avoid getting Damsels or other aggressive fish.)

Thank you for your time!!

Cody 03-04-2008 08:06 PM

Your live rock and sand would start your cycle. Don't add any fish to the cycle, because that can easily kill them. The most humane way is to let the LR and LS do its job. It will also be your main source of filtration.

Do not add any livestock untill your cycle is 100% complete. This means 0 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates (or, if you are doing FOWLR, then you can have around 5 nitrates). CUC is once the cycle is done. You can add corals at around 50-60 days, and if you can keep up with everything, then fish at 60-80 days.

You want to have 1-2lbs of LR per gallon.

Phoenix 03-04-2008 08:20 PM

Thank you, Cody!

What about crabs or snails, I saw a few posts saying to add them before fish...are the needed/recommended? If so at which point would I add them?

Cody 03-04-2008 09:30 PM

Ah, that would be your CUC, which stands for Clean-up-crew. This includes inverts that eat unwanted material, clean things, etc. This includes snails, hermits, *some* starfish, and many others. These should be added when your cycle is done, and it is before any fish or corals.

Phoenix 03-04-2008 09:51 PM

Ahh, thank you! Still learning the terms :D

Cody 03-04-2008 09:53 PM

Ah, Don't worry, you will catch on. If you have any quetions you want to ask, feel free to. :)

DJOstrichHead 03-04-2008 11:02 PM

how many of the clean up crew? im concerned about a starfish if i put it in o idk say my 29 gallon tank.

also could'nt you reduce the amount of other cuc during cycling to make sure the starfish gets its food

Cody 03-04-2008 11:26 PM

What kind of starfish would this be, and what system would you be running (FO, FOWLR, Reef)?

People go by many different rules for a CUC. These being 1 snail per 2-3 gallons, and a hermit for every 4-5, or 1 snail and hermit for every 5 gallons...I would perosnally do a snail per 2 gallons and a hermit per 5 gallons, but whatever floats your boat.

sydneyfishy 03-05-2008 02:30 AM

Hey

How much for a starfish, would they clean more? per gal

Cody 03-05-2008 07:49 AM

What kind of starfish, and what system are you running? Tank size?