Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Mass Molly Suicide!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/mass-molly-suicide-125846/)

K Road 01-16-2013 12:17 PM

Mass Molly Suicide!!!

I have kept t. fish for over 20 years, have three aquariums and in all these years never had any probs. except last night. I have 60 litre tank in the B.Room. Last night I awoke to the sound fish impacting against the glass... thump, thump, thump. I got up took the lid off and peered down. The black mollies were making frantic (and fatal) impacts with the glass sides of the aquarium.

I went back to bed - there was nothing I could do at 2am. In the morning thirty plus mollies were dead. The night before they took their food as greedily as ever. This is the strangest thing to have happened in all my years as a aquarist.

My theory... Over-populated tank! Mollies release some kind of chemical that produces a mass flight - "I gotta get out of here" - sort of reaction. No where to go in an Aquarium - result mass death by impacting the glass. I fished the dead ones out, did a 50% water change now everything back to normal with the few surviving black mollys and the platies. A few swords were affected as well. Weird and just a little macabre too.

Any one know the cause or has had a similar experience, please?

Nilet699 01-16-2013 12:37 PM

Wtf!!!

Mikaila31 01-16-2013 01:04 PM

Well congrats on not bothering to do a water change and save them. A 60l would take less then 15 min... Really no exuse even at 2am, apart to be lulled to sleep by the thumping of dying fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nilet699 01-16-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 1392874)
Well congrats on not bothering to do a water change and save them. A 60l would take less then 15 min... Really no exuse even at 2am, apart to be lulled to sleep by the thumping of dying fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm a little torn here, on the one hand I'd like to say sorry for your loss.

But, and mainly, on the other I'm leaning towards my original of wtf. Why would you lie back down and just listen to your fish die? I mean, come on! You've got 3 tanks, and say in your mind overstocked, then why have you let it get to this level for one? I have zero idea how many mollies you can keep in a 60 ltr as I don't like the fish, but with the others you mentioned I'd imagine it's too many, espec as it they would just keep breeding and the situation keep getting worse....
Second.... water change, put your hand in, scare them, shake the tank for god sake......but snap them out of it somehow surely.... just lying there defies belief in my mind.

As I said, I'm sad for the loss, but I'm more shocked and appalled tbh.

Welcome to TFK :roll::roll::roll::roll:

JDM 01-16-2013 02:33 PM

All judgment aside.

When was your last water change in that tank?

What are the water parameters and what else is int the tank?

Jeff

SomeDudeAtHome 01-16-2013 05:24 PM

Lets see 60ltr is roughly 16 gallons. You fished out around 30 dead fish which means there was more than 30 in there to begin with cause you said not all died. If I had to live in conditions like that I'd eventually bang my head against a wall to die too.

I'm willing to bet this guy never comes back after reading the comments OR the only reason he does is because I said he wouldn't.

twocents 01-16-2013 05:36 PM

Joined sept 2011, no posts until now.
sometimes I wonder if posts like this are legit...
anyone who supposedly has fish for 20 years... would someone like that consistently keep over populated tanks??
something does not smell right here.

Bluewind 01-16-2013 05:42 PM

There are 3 options here IMO of what is going on...
1. The OP views his/her fish as decor and not pets (60 of them in 16 gallons) and views their deaths as an incovenence (did nothing to help them because it was going on at 2am) to keep from hapening again (how could a tank that was that overpopulated function!?!)
2. The OP is actually a newbie and completely oblivious (unlikely as terminology was used)
3. It is a prank and the OP came up with a terrible story to mess with us

Now, please show us which you are. If you are truely a fishkeeper, we would love to help you with your bizzar issue, but we will need you to be honest about your fishkeeping habbits, fish apperance, and water chemistry. If you are a prankster, admit it, say you're sorry, and we can all move forward. I don't know about everyone else, but if you are enough of an adult to admit you goofed, I would still gladly help you with any of your fish questions and welcome you here.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDM 01-16-2013 06:29 PM

I suspected troll but decided not to call it... due to the join date imthought i could be wrong.

Jeff.

K Road 01-17-2013 12:52 AM

My goodness, what an unfriendly response from many of you! Yes, the tank was over-crowded from putting off a required cull - I do not relish throwing fish into boiling water as humane method of reducing numbers. My bad! No I was unable to do a 2am water change because of disturbing others badly in need of their sleep - I didn't anticipate the number of fatalies. Water gets changed every three weeks in my tanks and I regularly receive compliments on the condition of my lants and fish from other aquarists.

So many thanks for the sarcasm and warm welcome my fellow aquarists. You've been most helpful and friendly!