Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   how to keep ph stable ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-keep-ph-stable-12583/)

Busgod 03-04-2008 03:48 PM

how to keep ph stable ?

This my sound kinda weird but here goes:

Q: the ph in my tanks seams to go down a little every day !
but if I dont add a little cichlid salt every day It wont stay stable between water changes :?:

my tap water is/has a ph of 7.5, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, nitrate 0, gh 3 to 4,
kh 4 to 5

Holly 03-04-2008 08:53 PM

Your kh is what really stabalizes the ph but 4-5 isn't too low. Mine has been at 0 for months but for some reason nothing has changed. I think it has something to do with the salt. Does the salt contain something that maintains the ph? What substrate do you have in the tank?

Busgod 03-05-2008 12:58 AM

Holly asked:Does the salt contain something that maintains the ph? What substrate do you have in the tank?

the salt is a buffer from what Ive read helps keep or hold ph

I use sandy gravel because my fish dig all the time

but what i really would like to know is if there is some natural item or items that I can add to my tank that will help keep ph up or stable.

cedricb 03-05-2008 12:44 PM

modify the hardness of your water.

if your water gets hard 9additives or other methods, your ph will be very stable.

cedric

fish_4_all 03-05-2008 01:09 PM

If you want to keep your pH higher then add crushed coral in a mesh bag to your filter or simply add it to the tank. When I kept snails I had 1 cup of crushed coral in the tank and I had a steady pH of 7.6-7.8 My tap water is pretty much neutral so it actually raised the pH to where it needed to be for healthy snails.

cedricb 03-05-2008 02:31 PM

what kind of gravel do you have ?

the previous message is right. if you have normal gravel it is not a good situation for the ph.
go to any good fish store and ask for the coral sand or gravel. it makes the ph around 8. So if you thought about african cichlids it is just the right ph. and it will be stable.

cedric

Busgod 03-06-2008 01:09 AM

Thanks for the tips I went out and got crushed coral and some filter bag to add to my filters.

thanks again

will let everyone know what happens.

Busgod 03-06-2008 11:27 PM

first off thanks for the help :D

now it brings me to another few question: :?:

1) how long should it take for the water to reach its stedy ph ?

2) how often do you need to if at all replace crushed coral ?

3) Will it still be nessery to add cichlid salt with water changes ?

fish_4_all 03-07-2008 11:04 AM

Once I added the crushed coral to my substrate I didn't have to add more for more than a year. My pH stayed steady at 7.6-7.8 even after a water change.

Can't help with the salt, have never kept ciclids.

Busgod 03-07-2008 11:05 AM

thanks I do appreciate your help :D